Does Yaesu ft-70d work with CHIRP?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by KC3NEJ, Feb 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC3NEJ

KC3NEJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've looked for a couple hours trying to find an answer to that question. I just ordered an FT-70. I'm using CHIRP with my Baofeng with no problems. The FT-70 is listed in the radios in CHIRP. But all I can find are old threads about problems with the combo. I'm not crazy about the process of plugging, unplugging, removing the battery etc. using Yaesu software. I make changes to programming often and it sounds like a pain.

I think I might just bite the bullet and buy the RT systems software because it has links to RadioReference and RepeaterBook like CHIRP. I've previewed the Yaesu software and it seems that all it can do is import csv's.
    The RT software uses the audio plug and not the usb on the radio.

So . . . is anyone having success with CHIRP and avoiding all that plugging and unplugging required by the Yaesu software?

Thanks (for reading this long-winded post)
    Dave

2. N1ART

N1ART Ham Member QRZ Page

I had an FT70D, says it works with CHIRP, but it did not!
    My issues with the FT-70D, no receive past 480mhz and the battery doesn't last long.
    Otherwise its a fun toy.
    So CHIRP no.
    I did get chirp to recognize it, but it requires plugging it and its just as annoying as the factory software from Yaesu.So why bother?

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yaesu and CHIRP do not typically play well together. LONG story why which I won't repost here.

Just buy RTS Systems and be done with it.

No connection - it's just a better solution.

Dave
    W7UUU

4. KE8KMQ

KE8KMQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The FT-70D works just fine with Chirp, but the process shouldn't be so complicated as to require me to look up the instructions each time I want to connect the radio to the computer. :)