ad: Amateuramateur-1

Does It Really Matter

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by N6MEJ, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Ham Member

Does it really matter that someone use Q codes when in QSO, oops, I mean when in conversation with another ham? Is it really offensive that someone using phone, “...QSY up five because of QRM” or is it more correctly stated "I am moving up 5 kilohertz in frequency because of the interference from an amateur radio operator that just started a conversation 1.5 kilohertz below me,”

Recently, I have heard those that would dare use idioms like QSO, QSY, QRM, QRZ, hi-hi and the like, called jerks, morons, idiots and the like. Why? So what if someone wants to use a short cut or some other morse related idiom in conversation. Does it pain the amateur community so much that we now have fellow hams going on record to support other hams in condemning the use of such phraseology? Along with frequency cops, do we now have speech cops? I wonder if next we’ll have hams interfering with ongoing QSO’s to correct the language and provide monologue on the negative use of amateur idioms and its affect on the community as a whole. The last place I expected to find a requirement that someone use politically accepted speech was in the amateur radio ranks. Now this. Yes, I know its nothing new, though it seems to be taking on more fervency.

Do I want to be in a ragchew (I think this is accepted speech) with someone who is always throwing out Q codes or other ham phraseology intended for the CW ranks. No, not really. At the same time it doesn’t bother me to hear it in someones dialogue on occasion. Amateur radio is a hobby, one that I enjoy immensely. Why spend time in the pursuit of pure speech, when there is a contact to be had right up the band a bit? I believe it is still allright to use the term CQ, isn’t it?

Anyway….

2. KA3JLW

KA3JLW Ham Member

Those abbreviations have meaning. They, by virtue of being abbreviations, are convenient for morse code use. They retain their meaning within the context of an amatuer radio conversation, regardless of mode.

3. WH2HAO

WH2HAO QRZ Moderator

I'm just curious what happened to you to ask this. Because to me the answer is obviously it's ok, its what I do. Especially for the real common ones that pretty much everyone uses. Did someone give you a lashing or something ? Just curious.

4. N6MEJ

N6MEJ Ham Member

No, I've not been taken to task for it. It wouldn't be good form. There is a continual reference to it here and elsewhere and I think it ridiculous...so off I went.

5. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member

They are part of our ham culture and perfectly OK to use.

73, Jim N3AWS

QSY'ing now to another forum.

6. WY5V

WY5V Ham Member

Q signals predate Amateur Radio and were intended as telegraphic shorthand. Although I personally find the casual usage in a voice conversation to be acceptable, I would avoid someone that uses them heavily. However, there are modern equivalents. The Internet has spawned a whole new generation of shorthand such as LOL, OMG, BFF, etc. I asked my niece just now and she confirmed that today's youth do indeed use these in casual conversation. WTF?

7. KD6VM

KD6VM Ham Member

I understand there is a relatively new Q signal - QNH. "Name here is....."

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  8. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber

I find Q codes completely acceptable. But there are those Haters who rag anyone for using them outside of CW. well. ***** THEM!!!
    I will go back to my QTH shortly and have an Eyeball QSO with the OL, then QSY to her Camry where we can go to WINGS&THINGS where I can get copious amounts of 807s. Then, on the way home, I can QLF! (since I am not driving!). QRQ?

9. W0DV

W0DV XML Subscriber

Call me lucky, I have only heard someone complain about Q-codes (on HF) being used on phone, once. I cheerfully told him to shut his pie hole, even though he wasn't speaking to me to begin with. There is no rule that says Q-codes are for Morse Code only. Plenty of articles on the internet regarding the topic.
    People who make an issue out of using Q-codes really bug me. They need to find another hobby.

10. KD6VM

KD6VM Ham Member

I can't imagine not using QTH or QSL in a phone QSO.

11. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member

Everything but the Hi Hi; it's phone! If you laugh I can hear you and if you say something that's really funny you will hear me laugh. No need to to say this Hi Hi, especially if you don't know code to begin with.

The other nonsense is the "we" on every sentence. Unless your in a contest with multiple operators or a similar situation, there is no "we" running the station, antenna, amplifier, etc. when you're the only one in the room.

There, I said it! :p

12. AD7N

AD7N Ham Member

What matters the most is only if your contact understands it. If they don't understand your Q-codes, it's no use using them... but most hams on HF and a number on VHF/UHF understand what things like QTH mean.

tomato/tomato, potato/potato :D

13. N4AYZ

N4AYZ Subscriber

I feel the same way. Hearing "Hi hi" on phone is just plain creepy. CREEPY!

14. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member

Jerry,

It seems clear to me that, to some newbies, use of Q-signals may seem weird, silly, or even inappropriate. That's o.k. They probably lack historical perspectives, lack broad senses of pride in our hobby, and likely haven't mastered the code. Some of us grew up, literally grew up, using Q-signals, because they greatly helped CW contacts. There was a time when I used more than twenty Q-sigs. Some Q-signals still facilitate my contacts, particularly under adverse conditions. CW was my first mode, and in essence the first "language" I used on the air. What would truly be weird, silly, and inappropriate, in my opinion, is if other hams expected me to communicate with one set of language rules on CW and another set on SSB and FM. Q-signals are part of my on-air personality. Guess what? I don't get on-the-air for the purpose of pleasing everyone.

Among the most positive things about ham radio are the communication freedoms ham radio show-cases, for anyone observant enough to recognize. Ignore the iconoclasts and scoffers. 73!

15. WG7X

WG7X Ham Member

Well, its not the use, but the overuse that is the actual problem.

Someone who wants to act as if they belong starts using the ham lingo, then uses it to excess.

That's where the problem lies.

Gary

16. N3PDT

N3PDT XML Subscriber

I'm not going to end, or avoid a future QSO because someone said "hi hi" on phone, or overused "QSL", even though both grate on me just a little. Of course, since I operate 99.9% CW, I'm used to hearing both a lot. ;) I actually think I hear "QSL" used less in casual CW QSOs than I do in phone contacts.

17. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Subscriber

I do not usually operate SSB or AM on HF but not sure why this is a problem. If that was the biggest problem in my life, all would be well.
    I am sure it can get over-used and an irritant; as can about a zillion (rough calculation) other things I copy on the radio. I think some of it is just habit and trying to fit in with the others. Oh, I use "73" on most modes (see below).

Bill N9DSJ

18. KT7DAD

KT7DAD Ham Member

We agree, "We" is reserved for us royal's

19. KC5SAS

KC5SAS Ham Member

As long as it's not being done to obscure the meaning of something I don't have a problem with Q signals at all. Some noobs may not be as familiar with them and be a bit confused but they can be clued in by someone if they ask.
    That said, I also don't have a problem with 10 codes. Coming from a public safety background and having many local hams who are also from public safety (fire, police, ems, ect) sometimes we slip and use a 10 code in casual conversation. As long as it's used in context and among peers I don't have a problem with them either.
    Now the HiHi thing....I have to agree. That's just CREEPY. Please don't do it.

20. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Subscriber

We think you are correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.