Does Anyone Use Paper Log and Send QSL Cards?

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KG4KAH, Mar 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

I returned to the hobby in February of this year after 10+ years off the air.

I use paper logs and transfer all QSOs (except nets) to LoTW. I send out a few paper QSLs and respond 100% to those I receive.

AE7BT likes this.
  2. AE7BT

AE7BT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Similar MO here. Paper log entry at time of QSO, and later LoTW through the QRZ Logbook when I get around to it.
    QSL cards go to those who don’t use LoTW, or if it’s a new one that I really want to put on the wall.

3. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I got back into the hobby last year, SSB again. SSB quickly became boring so I learned CW over the past year and am now making well over 100 QSOs a month.
    I am using a paper logbook, and that's all. I just can't imagine having a computer in my shack, or having to boot it up every time I sit down for a QSO, or transferring handwritten information from my log, onto a computer later. I am totally computer literate and comfortable with computers, just don't want to be bothered with my operation being dependent on one.

N3AB and WN1MB like this.
  4. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have any portable electronic gadget. I have a PC, but not near the ham shack. I find paper logging to be effortless. I QSL when requested, and I reply to a QSL card 100%.

Have done so since 1952.

N3AB, K4BAD, WN1MB and 1 other person like this.
  5. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I LOVE your Focke-Wulf 44J Floyd !!! :)

Steve / W5BIB

6. N8VIL

N8VIL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I keep a paper log. I also log some of my contacts in QRZ logbook. I send out some QSL cards and enjoy receiving them. I keep saying to myself that I am going to set up electronic logging but never do.

7. KW6LA

KW6LA Ham Member QRZ Page

AM logs on paper and QSL cards.

8. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I used a paper log back when I kept one. Nowadays I may write you call es name down while we're talking but but the slate gets cleaned of at start of next session.

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I STILL use paper logs. I haven't found an electronic log program I didn't like for one reason or another. Without a log (one kind or another,) HOW do you verify a contact was legitimate? And paper logs don't magically disappear when (not if, but when) a hard drive mysteriously goes belly up!
    I will return a QSL card via direct mail if I receive one, or with a special/DX station, or upon request from stateside stations. I also QSL with a card for satellite contacts, and SSB DX contacts on VHF/UHF. QSL cards that come via the "buro" get returned the same way.

WN1MB likes this.
  10. N2DAY

N2DAY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I keep a log on my pc and most always send QSL card