ad: k1jek

Does Anyone Use Paper Log and Send QSL Cards?

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KG4KAH, Mar 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
  1. KA5GEX

KA5GEX Ham Member QRZ Page

I returned to the hobby in February of this year after 10+ years off the air.

I use paper logs and transfer all QSOs (except nets) to LoTW. I send out a few paper QSLs and respond 100% to those I receive.

AE7BT likes this.
  2. AE7BT

AE7BT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Similar MO here. Paper log entry at time of QSO, and later LoTW through the QRZ Logbook when I get around to it.
    QSL cards go to those who don’t use LoTW, or if it’s a new one that I really want to put on the wall.

3. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I got back into the hobby last year, SSB again. SSB quickly became boring so I learned CW over the past year and am now making well over 100 QSOs a month.
    I am using a paper logbook, and that's all. I just can't imagine having a computer in my shack, or having to boot it up every time I sit down for a QSO, or transferring handwritten information from my log, onto a computer later. I am totally computer literate and comfortable with computers, just don't want to be bothered with my operation being dependent on one.

WN1MB likes this.
  4. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have any portable electronic gadget. I have a PC, but not near the ham shack. I find paper logging to be effortless. I QSL when requested, and I reply to a QSL card 100%.

Have done so since 1952.

K4BAD, WN1MB and KD8ZM like this.
  5. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I LOVE your Focke-Wulf 44J Floyd !!! :)

Steve / W5BIB

6. N8VIL

N8VIL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I keep a paper log. I also log some of my contacts in QRZ logbook. I send out some QSL cards and enjoy receiving them. I keep saying to myself that I am going to set up electronic logging but never do.

7. KW6LA

KW6LA Ham Member QRZ Page

AM logs on paper and QSL cards.

8. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I used a paper log back when I kept one. Nowadays I may write you call es name down while we're talking but but the slate gets cleaned of at start of next session.

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I STILL use paper logs. I haven't found an electronic log program I didn't like for one reason or another. Without a log (one kind or another,) HOW do you verify a contact was legitimate? And paper logs don't magically disappear when (not if, but when) a hard drive mysteriously goes belly up!
    I will return a QSL card via direct mail if I receive one, or with a special/DX station, or upon request from stateside stations. I also QSL with a card for satellite contacts, and SSB DX contacts on VHF/UHF. QSL cards that come via the "buro" get returned the same way.

WN1MB likes this.