ad: hrd-2

Does anyone still listen to W1AW code practice/bulletins anymore

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5INC, May 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Peter: Huh. That's odd. I thought that would be big news.

Brian: What would be big news?

Peter: Well, there seems to be an absence of a certain ornithological piece. A headline regarding mass awareness of a certain avian variety.

Brian: What are you talking about?

Peter: Oh, have you not heard? It was my understanding that everyone had heard.

Brian: Heard what?

Stewie: DON'T!!!!

2. W5INC

W5INC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well it is certainly great to see that more then a few AR OPs and a few others, still cultivate the very valuable W1AW code practice/bulletin resource. I am glad that W9BRD pointed out that there are a few more punctuation marks that are left out of W1AW's code practice/bulletin services. More brain lock is not needed.

Does anyone still get those qualifying speed certificates that are offered by the ARRL on certain broadcasts. I was going to try and get a 20 WPM certificate the first week in March and 40 was dead as a door nail. In days of old I could always receive W1AW on 20 and 40Ms most of the time, even the late code practice sets. I haven't become accustomed to the bottom of the solar cycle as of yet, I reckon. :)

3. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Today was a good example of the prorogation aspect .. I was able to copy W1AW on 40, 20, 15, 17 and 10 this morning ... bands were open! ( or at least to my location anyway)

4. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

I listen to the ARRL website code practice sessions--no QRM.

73, Jim N3AWS

N4NYK likes this.
  5. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Psssst: QRM is part of the practice.

W4NNF likes this.
  6. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm very surprised (and pleased) by the responses. When I started reading the responses I was not expecting to see that anyone still copies the bulletins and code practice transmissions. Especially since you can get them via email or just read them on the web. Although I don't use them any more I'm glad that many are. The last time I regularly copied the bulletins was back when you needed to get the satellite reference orbit dates and times to predict satellite passes and access times using the Oscar Locater, before satellite Keps could be plugged into a computer program to get the info.

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure. Bulletins, anyway. I did do some listening to the code practice runs after being off CW for a while, just to make sure I could still copy at my accustomed speeds. :)

8. N9RVB

N9RVB Ham Member QRZ Page

agreed. I sometimes listen via Echolink when I'm on the road for work. I much prefer the radio as it is less clean and I have to maybe practice filling in a blank or adjusting the radio while I'm listening, just like I'll have to do in a real QSO...

-rvb
    (N9RVB)

W9BRD likes this.