Does anyone still listen to W1AW code practice/bulletins anymore

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5INC, May 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

I listen to the CW ones a few times a month....

2. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Take a deep breath, Dave. :) The period has exactly one more dah than BT, so there not using a lot of extra time BT

3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Well it's not supposed to sound like an actual QSO. There are plenty of "actual QSOs" on the air to listen to.

I use commas and periods during QSOs, as do many of the random folks I contact. Maybe it is a different world on the left coast...;)

4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty much the same here. Usually that the radio on and copying stuff in my head whilst doing chores around the slum hovel.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I use commas all the time. But I don't think I've ever once used a period in a QSO.

Dave
    W7UUU

6. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Since I'm not a League member, CW practice sessions are the only way I can get QST articles. :eek:

K8BZ, KI4AX and AC8UN like this.
  7. WA4KCN

WA4KCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good idea but please join. It would help out.

8. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When the League starts providing services that are actually helpful, I'll be the first to swipe my card for a membership.

9. WA4KCN

WA4KCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well ok but certainly you must believe some good comes from headquarters. You are taking advantage of W1AW and the news transmitted.

I think it is a best practice to focus on what headquarters is doing that you like. Is it not true hams will find what they are looking for in our leadership organization.

W4NNF likes this.
  10. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

W1AW has been sending limited proper punctuation for many decades. (Limited in the sense that stuff like colons, semicolons and parentheses were omitted.) Consider that you're interested in possibly sitting for the T2, I'd think punctuation would be right up your alley. Wish we could still copy CW press and weather bulletins from coast stations -- plenty of non-limited punctuation therein, including open and close parens.

Those sending CW from a computer commonly send less limited punctuation as well.

What did throw me was how F. A. Bartlett, W6OWP, long the originator of ARRL's "West Coast" qualifying run transmissions, had a classical perforator/tape-transmission setup such that terminal punctuation was word-spaced away from its preceding word. (That's right: In his CP runs, my previous sentence would have ended "word .") Trouble was during my five-year stint in Seattle as AK7M, reception of W1AW's CP runs was just too hit or miss. Guess now that I can hear them even on 160 in the daytime, maybe now's the time to push past 30 up to 35...