Does anyone still listen to W1AW code practice/bulletins anymore

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5INC, May 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. F8WBD

F8WBD Ham Member QRZ Page

I do...when conditions are favorable. Actually much like copying "press" during the golden age of commercial Morse radio.

2. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is such a useful tool that I wish others would use to learn CW. I personally do not use i
    So I accidentally use periods too often when working remote. I type what I want to send into the RS-ba1 CW keyer box and kick myself when I use a period instead of BT -- when I send by hand i never use a period - I use commas but no periods. hmmm... why all the hate on periods? same CW weight as a comma...

KI4AX likes this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I tune to it almost every day M-F at some point.

Propagation indicator, like a beacon.

I do copy the bulletins, playing it in the background while I'm doing other stuff, pretty often.

K0UO likes this.
  4. KR2C

KR2C Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I listen to the code practice. I do a bunch of cw yet I'm not all that good yet.

One thing that I noticed, if I listen to the fast code which starts from fast to slow, it seems that I can copy 15, 13 and 10WPM much easier than if I start with the slow code that starts slow and progresses to faster.

Kind of weird.

KI4AX and N2EY like this.
  5. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Definitely. It is one of the less boring transmissions on ham radio.

6. N4NYK

N4NYK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Absolutely, it's good practice and I think it's great that the ARRL continues these transmissions.

N3AWS, KI4AX and K0UO like this.
  7. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. One radio on W1AW, another on some BCB station. Keeps the mind agile.
    Mike N3PM

8. NY7Q

NY7Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I do, at least once a day.

9. NA1S

NA1S Ham Member QRZ Page

Most definitely, its good practice as I work on getting back up to speed for CW after a long time off.

10. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe the period sounds more repetitious than the comma-- it can become annoying if there are a lot of them.

I listen to public domain texts converted to Morse audio for copy practice some times-- mostly fictional works with a lot of dialog. Even worse than periods are quote marks, especially when apostrophes are used for quotes: di-dah-dah-dah-dah-dit. That will drive you nuts in short order. I now strip out all the punctuation in such texts and replace periods, commas and paragraph separators with multiple spaces for pauses. That sounds more conversational.