Does anyone still listen to W1AW code practice/bulletins anymore

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5INC, May 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W5INC

W5INC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

W1AW code practice and myself go back a very long time and was a very useful tool for me when learning to copy CW. I still listen to it today to sharpen up CW skills and find out what is happening via the ARRL bulletin. 1 thing about the W1AW code practice at high speeds, every once in a while I get "blocked" when a semi colon or the @ sign in an Email address is sent via CW. Of course some crazy callsign from who knows where, gets thrown into the mix and that is another stumbling block at times.

So does anyone else listen to W1AW code practice or recieve the ARRL's daily bulletins via CW or digital?

2. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I listen to the W1AW code practice and most bulletins. I sometimes miss a bit here and there, but I find that the on air copying helps me keep semi-sharp! Another source that I enjoy is K6KPH. Receiving is pretty poor from my current apartment location. So, I do resort to several remote sdr sites using my tablet. A guy has to do what a guy has to do.

KI4AX and NL7W like this.
  3. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not on a daily basis, but I often put the 18 wpm bulletin on while I am in the shack doing other things. I can usually copy it in my head without too much trouble since it's perfect CW.

N3AWS, NL7W and W5TTP like this.
  4. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Many times a week, and the intentional QRM on 40M most days makes it even better real world practice, its also a somewhat good prorogation indicator as well

KI4AX likes this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

From time to time. I get really weary of the endless sending of "periods" - NO ONE in the real world of ham radio sends a period on CW - I know ARRL is just sending automated reading of articles - but I just wish their algorithm would substitute BT for "period" to sound more like an actual QSO :)

Dave
    W7UUU

KY5U, K9ASE, N1OOQ and 4 others like this.
  6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I do. Frequency marker, propagation indicator, and classic machine-generated perfect code.

"How is someone supposed to know how to play a song they've never heard played properly?"

N3AWS, KI4AX, K9ASE and 3 others like this.
  7. KA0REN

KA0REN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi
    Yes, use it to keep my speed up !
    Vern Ka0ren

8. KA0REN

KA0REN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, use it to keep up my speed and increase it a bit .

9. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, I'll tune into a W1AW code practice or bulletin session a lot of times when I'm working on rigs on the bench either as a fairly reliable signal for testing rigs or just running in the background as I work on other rigs. It definitely seems to help keep my code speed and head copy up to just listen without trying to formally copy everything.

10. WA4KCN

WA4KCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes I do. Many times later in the evening on 40 meters W1AW may be the only signal heard. I have a flex with the Maestro. I may carry the maestro into the bedroom and fall asleep listening to the music of Morse code coming from W1AW. How wonderful. I also donate annually to the W1AW fund.

N3AWS likes this.