ad: QuirkyQRP-1

Does anyone remember Hal Wilcox W4OP?

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by whuffman, Feb 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. whuffman

whuffman Guest

I know that Dale Parfitt now has W4OP (he is big in EME). My grandfather, Harold Everett Wilcox held W4OP for many years before he became a SK in 1972. He tried everything to get me interested in amateur radio (I was 12), but it was not to be for five years, when I was licensed as WD4FMH in 1978. Now I am an amateur extra WH6V - I think he'd be very proud of me. I wanted to get W4OP, but Dale got it before I was able to upgrade to extra. I like WH6V here in Hawaii, anyhow.

Hal was big on CW and SSB - I remember he had a Drake T7/R7 setup - He was in ARES/RACES, and was Emergency coordinator for Falls Church, VA.

If anyone remembers working him, I'd like to hear from them.

Wayne
    WH6V

2. WB4FDT

WB4FDT Ham Member QRZ Page

I was stunned to see your message regarding your grandfather W4OP. Hal sure would be proud of you. I was licensed in 1967 at age 15 in Arlington, Va, about 4 miles from Falls church, and knew Hal as a fellow member of the Northern Virginia Radio Club, and a member of the Virginia SSB Net. I think he checked into the Va CW Net a few times when I was net control. I went over to his home several times, one time he gave me some old junk equipment/parts. I remember he had a huge emergency generator which would power the whole house! I have his QSL cards, one is a photo card. I remember his passing in 1972--I may have a short bio of Hal somewhere in my historical files. I have been collecting historical info on Va amateurs for over 30 years. Check my QRZ bio for my email address. Phil "PIP" Sager WB4FDT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.