ad: MyersEng-1

Documentary on Arthur Collins to premiere 10/9

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WA9YI, Oct 8, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA9YI

WA9YI Ham Member QRZ Page

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Many of us will want to buy the DVD, or stream....any option for that?

My dad (WN1ZWT) worked with Artie in WWII.

Photo in story is world's coolest Faraday cage!

Chip W1YW

3. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I would be interested in a DVD. Snagged Art's pix. Tnx for the link.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. WK3B

WK3B Ham Member QRZ Page

I would imagine that they would go on sale at some point after the premiere.

5. K6RAH

K6RAH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I want to reserve a copy when this documentary DVD is available!

I hope that there are mentions of two real Collins Radio pioneers: Warren B. Bruene W5OLY (SK), and Forest M. Cummings W5LQU. Both members of the Richardson Wireless Klub, Richardson, TX.

Dick Morgan K6RAH
    email is k6rah@arrl.net

6. N0SAP

N0SAP Ham Member QRZ Page

So Art was operating in 1925 not knowing he was making history. Did you ever wanted to know the lay of the land back then. There were not many Hams, no stores to "buy" radios. Everything was homebrew, transmitter, receivers, antennas, even the feedline. Imagine no coax, or at least to my knowledge. Look at my QRZ site at the picture of the map and story of "This is Amateur Radio" in 1930. It's part of Amateur Radio History I bet you did not know. "SAP" NØSAP

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Grebe sold ham receivers.....
    Lotsahams don't use coax, in 2015 (IMO they should...)

8. K0EBH

K0EBH Ham Member QRZ Page

I purchased the Novel, "Arthur Collins Radio Wizard" from Amazon.com.
    It was a interesting novel on Art Collins life and Collins Radio. Give it a try.
    Mike, K0EBH

9. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder what he was trying to accomplish in that picture? Looks like a screened in enclosure made to look like a space craft.

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Faraday cage mockup of Mercury capsule circa 1959. You have to RF enclse the TX to make sure the antenna worked as specified. They were simulating the real thing with an excellent mockup;there was a TX in the real capsule, of course.

How the heck they got the guy in and out of this is a mystery.

Chip W1YW

11. N0CKR

N0CKR Ham Member QRZ Page

I saw the premiere on 10/09. They did a great job. They mentioned they have LOTS of video to make future films.
    As far as the Mercury capsule, I was a young 'un during that time, but I met a guy last year at Oshkosh who built his own replica Mercury capsule. He let me try it out. I'm 6'4". It was a tight fit, but it's possible.
    Tim N0CKR