ad: dxeng

Do you remember when;...

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by W5BIB, Apr 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Gasoline was 23 cents per-gallon? ...You needed a 'technician' license to fly a radio controlled aircraft?... or;...
  2. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Piker! I remember gas at 18¢

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  3. 2E0OZI

2E0OZI Ham Member QRZ Page had to work 28 hours a day at 't mill and PAY the mill owner to work there.......
  4. W5BIB

...When we said 'social security' wouldn't be around when 'WE' retarded(sic)?...
  5. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

As a kid I remember an old Site gas station that had gas at 20 cents a gallon, and walking to the barber shop for a $1.25 hair cut.
  6. W5BIB

...It was your turn to 'empty-the-pot'...?? (I don't mean BOGART the BONG!) :cool:
  7. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

"Gas Wars" never to be seen again in front of gas stations. In 1966 bought my first new car a 1966 Dodge Hemi 2dr sedan stripped heater and power steering delete special order for everything I didn't want. I wanted it for one reason Drag Racing I paid 25 cents a gallon for premium fuel for the beast it kept me broke all the time worked 2 jobs and drove a 1959 Rambler daily to work.

I remember a few times gas was 17.9 and oil you cranked out of a barrel into a glass 1qt bottle, that was reclaimed oil for the Rambler .15 a qt. it used almost as much oil as gas lol.
  8. W5BIB

You used water from a 'CISTERN" ?... Your T.V. screen, was round?... You had 'push button automatic' in the centre of your 'EDSEL' steering wheel?...
  9. W4HAY

W4HAY Subscriber QRZ Page

...when the VFO had 11 Meters on it? And you had to fight the diathermy machine in the doctor's office across town to work the band?

Receivers had "magic eye" tubes instead of S-meters...
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  10. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

It's pretty easy remembering using water from a "CISTERN", because I still use one. I have a 5,000 gallon Cistern behind my house. The pipes from the Cistern lead to a small pump house that gives me water pressure. In the winter we keep a 75 watt light bulb running in the pump house to keep the lines from freezing. Every Tuesday morning I take two trips into town with a 450 gallon tank on a trailer, to replenish the water. It is very good water and only cost $0.01 a gallon, if you don't include the gas for the car and mileage. The water machine in town uses quarters.

Also, I don't have an Edsel, but I think my neighbor has several buried in his yard. However, in town there is a Beauty Shop named DeSoto's. Yes, you guessed it. It has a very nice Chrysler DeSoto sitting on the roof. See It's not easy to see, but sitting behind the steering wheel is "Elvis". Now you know where he went when he left the building.
  11. W5BIB

lol... reminds me of the guy that had the Cadillacs buried nose down on I-40 West of Amarillo years ago. Hauling water I remember... that's 3600 lbs per trip for you!... We used the 75 watt light bulb 'thingy' in our pump-house. I think the outside soda machines use the same thing to keep their product from freezing during the winter.
  12. W8JBC

W8JBC Ham Member QRZ Page

Gas Wars

Steve, ( BIB ), I remember the ' gas wars ' in the late '50s .... I saw it as low as 16 cents a gallon in Lake Worth, Florida in 1958 ....

On another note , a 2 door vehicle was known as a ' coupe ' .... A sedan always had 4 doors ....

Fifteen cents a 'QUART' works out to sixty cents for a gallon of oil .... I guess it is the ' new math ' ...... That was always a joke

concerning the Ramblers .... " How many quarts of oil to the mile do you get ? " :confused:

Ahhhh, the memories .... :eek: If you remember those daze .... You will understand / remember my signature line ....

13. W5BIB

14. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember when:

- Gasoline was less than 25 cents a gallon. And you got a free glass or dish with every $2 or more fillup. But a typical car got maybe 12 MPG on a good day, and a car that got better than 20 MPG was a super-economy car.

- Odometers only went to 99,999.9 miles because it was extremely rare for a car to reach 100,000 miles

- A seven-year-old car was old, and a ten-year-old car was ancient.

- A set of tires might last 20,000 miles if you were lucky. And they had inner tubes.

- You needed to change the oil every 2000 miles and do a tuneup every 2nd or 3rd oil change

- Cars had no seatbelts, no airbags, no head rests and had pointy metal things inside the cabin.

- Gas pumps had mechanical readouts

And a lot more

73 de Jim, N2EY
  15. WB8MKV

WB8MKV Ham Member QRZ Page

....we used to call a suitcase a "grip"
  16. W5BIB

We used to say,... please, thank you & you're welcome.
  17. W4MAJ

W4MAJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I love threads like these, because regardless of what sons think I am not ancient. For the record, I remember drive-ins with the speaker that went on your window, 65¢ for a gallon of gasoline , minimum wage was $3.35 an hour, and getting upset when the president's weekly address interrupted "The Dukes of Hazard" on Friday nights.
  18. W4HAY

W4HAY Subscriber QRZ Page

The number of laps in the NASCAR Daytona race was sometimes determined by when high tide would occur and the Hudson Hornet was the car to beat.

A vibrator was something in your car radio.
  19. KW4MW

KW4MW Ham Member QRZ Page

Fishin’ poles
    Swimmin’ holes
    Two holers
    Sears AND Roebuck
    Tire swings
    Porch swings
    Maytag on the porch
    TV Antenna for each channel (2 – 13)
    Ultrasonic TV remote
    Electric coffee percolators
    Church keys
    Blue Laws
    Cop cars with red bubble light
    Cop cars with whip antenna
    Flare pots at road construction sites
    Sky King and Penny
    Sock Hops at the fire station
    Five and Dime stores
    Drive in Movies and Buck a Car nights
    Drive in restaurants, car hops on skates
    Peanuts in your Seven-Up
    15 cent hot dogs and 25 cent hamburgers
    45 rpm records
    Hi Fi sets
    Dick Biondi at WLS
    Elephant jokes
    Twenty Five cent movies
    Saturday movie matinee with serial oaters
    Carter’s Little Liver Pills
    Black Jack chewing gum

That's all I can think of now
  20. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember when air was clean and sex was dirty

I remember boohoohoo when postage for a post card went from $.02 to$.03

I remember 5 cent candy bars

1962 grade school dress code: Girls wore skirts or dresses 2" below the knee. No cleavage. boys wore slacks and black dress shoes, except farm boys could wear jeans and boots because they had to do chores in the morning before school.

I remember asking "what's chores?" once. just once...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.