Do you need a 40 Amp to transmit 200w on Kenwood TS 480 HX?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K7HN, Aug 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No need to overthink this.

1) RTFM to see what DC power the radio requires
    2) Look for power supplies that meet the requirements
    3) Read the specs of the power supplies to see what AC power they require
    4) Plug them in to suitable branch circuit receptacles.

Done.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    AG5CK and WC5P like this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably running about a 170 to 180 Watts that's what 480s run PEP, a good Astron power supply can handle it on Side Band, but anything else would not !!!! Lol I know some guys have modified their 480s to run 250 Watts
    Yes I can do the math!!!

3. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Taking the typical power supply characteristics, look for the CC, not the IC rating. That's continuous current versus intermittent current rating. That CCW rating is what it should do all day long with no problems. If that CC rating is large enough to cover what your radio draws then you're good. If not, then you will be 'pushing' that power supply more than it's gonna like and that's when things get sort of squirmy.
    Working 'backwards', meaning the power output of the transmitter to the power supply, the easiest/best method is to double the power then divide by the supply voltage. That'll give you a ball-park figure of how big a power supply you need for a "no sweat" system. Yes,will be larger than you probably thought you'd need. But!! I have never seen a power supply that was too large, you know? If you don't use that "extra" current it just sits there and doesn't do anything or complain. And if you've never even thought about adding just one more little 'do-gee' to your present power supply... well, I ain't never seen that either. ... and one less @#$ wal-wort you have plugged into that 87 outlet power strip you made...

4. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Great factual post, much gooder than mine .

Since all I managed to overuse word "APPROXIMATELY" only I feel very unqualified to further participate in this discussion.

5. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you use the word "approximately", your figures need to be in the ballpark. Yours were not.