Do not buy a Rohn 25 Tower !!!

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WH2HAO, Nov 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WH2HAO

WH2HAO QRZ Moderator QRZ Page

I am really pissed. I assembled a 40 ft Rohn 25 tower. I had the weld pop off the Z bar support bars from one of the tower legs just from rolling the tower over on the lawn... So after all the money spent on this POS, I have to hire a welding company to come and weld all the freaking broken support welds. I'm so pissed . Never Rohn, the quality is terrible.

2. KB3ZGV

KB3ZGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, that sucks. Is it galvanized or painted? I'm just wondering about protecting the area around the repair welds from the weather.

I'd take plenty of pictures and contact Rohn and see if you can get some kind of adjustment. If you paid for it with a credit card, contact the cc company and file a dispute,

3. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

Have had Rohn 25 tower since the 80's. First was a 70' guyed, now have 55' foldover. Never any problems, great tower.

Everyone makes a mistake, now and then.

4. N4EYZ

N4EYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you buy the tower new or used? If used how old is it? I've climbed and worked on many many dozens of 25G towers over the years and I've never seen substantial quality issues unless the tower was very old.

I should qualify the above statement by adding I did not see issues when the company was still Rohn. I seem to remember they filed for bankruptcy 10+ years ago and the company assets were bought by Radian. So no real experience with their current quality. I built many Rohn 80's and SSV's over the years. Quality was always good. My only complaint back then was you really needed to always wear gloves when climbing those things otherwise you could count on cutting your hands on the sharp galvanizing points or "tits" as we called them. That came from the "hot dip galvanizing" process.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  5. NN4RH

NN4RH Subscriber QRZ Page

Didn't it come with any kind of warrantee? I mean, having welds give way on a brand-new tower isn't acceptable.

Or was this a used tower?

Or was it some knock-off copy not actually manufactured by Rohn, but with Rohn design?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  6. KB3ZGV

KB3ZGV Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the issue is the shipping cost and time to Guam.

7. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Somehow rolling 40ft of assembled 'lightweight' tower across a lawn doesn't sound like a good mechanical practice.

Depending on how it's done, one could cause a lot of torquing which would put significant strain on those welds. The result may not be a surprise.

Seems better to lift and carry the individual section to the assembly/erection point. Then assemble them. Or use a crane to lift the entire assembly then move to erection point. *shrug*

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Did you buy it directly from a Rohn distributor? Is it really Rohn tower?

I've handled hundreds of sections of 25G and have never seen a weld break, even once.

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

At two Rohn dealers, I've sold and handled hundreds of sections of Rohn 25G (and 45G), and also have never seen a weld break. Ever.

10. N4EYZ

N4EYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

No way should rolling around or moving 40' of 25G (assembled) break a weld. I've moved much more than that with no issues. That stuff is pretty strong. A certain amount of flexing ability is designed in otherwise any movement at all when erected would be disastrous.

11. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

I have to add to the disbelief...I have erected, taken down, and re-erected multiple Rohn 25 (and 45) towers over a period of many years and NEVER had a broken weld.

12. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here, a good weld should be stronger than the surrounding material; I have never seen a weld break on a Rohn 20/25/45 tower despite some that were quite abused. I have seen corroded, user damaged and/or totally mis-installed Rohn towers but never ever a broken weld (not that it could not happen),

The earlier questions remain; was it a new tower section? If not perhaps it was damaged in transit?

Bill N9DSJ

13. WH2HAO

The individual who suggested rolling the tower over one foot on the lawn to put screws in the other side of the tower leg was too much stress really should reconsider how ridiculous that sounds. I haven't even lifted it, put an antenna on it or stressed the tower yet. Anyway, KB3ZGV pretty much hit the nail on the head. The tower sections were about $250 a piece, but the shipping was $2000. So all I can do is biiiitch as warranties are not even a reality out in the middle of nowhere. Not to mention it took 8 weeks to get here. And , Yes the tower is Rohn, and brand spanking new. So new, one other section had a metal weld piece jammed in one tower leg that I had to spend an hours de-burring just to fix it. I just think the quality is not what it should be. I know everyone has the great stories of years of perfect service from their particular Rohn, I don't doubt they have made great products, but I am just sharing my unfortunate, but true situation of poor workmanship with this new tower..

14. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry to hear that; my comments were based on older Rohn towers; no idea as to the present QA status for Rohn sections. Hopefully you can get reimbursed for the shipping costs.

Bill N9DSJ

15. K9ASE

K9ASE Ham Member QRZ Page

I would suggest you take lots of pictures, and raise holy heck with Rohn until you get satisfaction then.

16. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, I'd do that, too.

It almost sounds like counterfeit tower, especially at $250 a section (since it can be purchased brand new here from any Rohn dealer for about $118 MSRP per section).

If you would have contacted me, I'd have bought it for you locally and then put it on the next Navy vessel heading for Guam out of Long Beach...freight might have been "free." I've done this before.

I shipped 200' of 25G to Cebu, P.I. for "no charge" for freight on the USS Inchon. They happened to be docked here and heading to P.I., and I asked for a favor from one of the officers who was a ham. They acccommodated.

That was in 2001, and maybe times have changed, but hams are still hams, and my XYL is ex-Navy and had some pull.

17. W0AAT

W0AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have heard of this type of problem with the Amerite 25g clones. Wonder if someone pulled a switch on you tp make more money.

18. WH2HAO

Thanks everyone for the input, any idea on how do identify a clone.

19. WH2HAO

IMG_1811.JPG IMG_1812.JPG IMG_1814.jpg

Some Pic's.

20. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks suspicious to me. Does not look like something Rohn would let leave the factory. Tubing looks smaller, to me as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.