Do not buy a Rohn 25 Tower !!!

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WH2HAO, Nov 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. WH2HAO

WH2HAO QRZ Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I am really pissed. I assembled a 40 ft Rohn 25 tower. I had the weld pop off the Z bar support bars from one of the tower legs just from rolling the tower over on the lawn... So after all the money spent on this POS, I have to hire a welding company to come and weld all the freaking broken support welds. I'm so pissed . Never Rohn, the quality is terrible.

2. KB3ZGV

KB3ZGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, that sucks. Is it galvanized or painted? I'm just wondering about protecting the area around the repair welds from the weather.

I'd take plenty of pictures and contact Rohn and see if you can get some kind of adjustment. If you paid for it with a credit card, contact the cc company and file a dispute,

3. WA8ZYT

WA8ZYT Ham Member QRZ Page

Have had Rohn 25 tower since the 80's. First was a 70' guyed, now have 55' foldover. Never any problems, great tower.

Everyone makes a mistake, now and then.

4. N4EYZ

N4EYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you buy the tower new or used? If used how old is it? I've climbed and worked on many many dozens of 25G towers over the years and I've never seen substantial quality issues unless the tower was very old.

I should qualify the above statement by adding I did not see issues when the company was still Rohn. I seem to remember they filed for bankruptcy 10+ years ago and the company assets were bought by Radian. So no real experience with their current quality. I built many Rohn 80's and SSV's over the years. Quality was always good. My only complaint back then was you really needed to always wear gloves when climbing those things otherwise you could count on cutting your hands on the sharp galvanizing points or "tits" as we called them. That came from the "hot dip galvanizing" process.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Didn't it come with any kind of warrantee? I mean, having welds give way on a brand-new tower isn't acceptable.

Or was this a used tower?

Or was it some knock-off copy not actually manufactured by Rohn, but with Rohn design?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  6. KB3ZGV

KB3ZGV Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the issue is the shipping cost and time to Guam.

7. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Somehow rolling 40ft of assembled 'lightweight' tower across a lawn doesn't sound like a good mechanical practice.

Depending on how it's done, one could cause a lot of torquing which would put significant strain on those welds. The result may not be a surprise.

Seems better to lift and carry the individual section to the assembly/erection point. Then assemble them. Or use a crane to lift the entire assembly then move to erection point. *shrug*

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Did you buy it directly from a Rohn distributor? Is it really Rohn tower?

I've handled hundreds of sections of 25G and have never seen a weld break, even once.

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

At two Rohn dealers, I've sold and handled hundreds of sections of Rohn 25G (and 45G), and also have never seen a weld break. Ever.

10. N4EYZ

N4EYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

No way should rolling around or moving 40' of 25G (assembled) break a weld. I've moved much more than that with no issues. That stuff is pretty strong. A certain amount of flexing ability is designed in otherwise any movement at all when erected would be disastrous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.