ad: w5yi

Do I need to download windows service pack 1 or higher to get IE 10 ? How to do it ?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KD7SIZ, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KD7SIZ

KD7SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

When I tried to change my IE 7 to IE 10, a message came up that IE 10 can only be downloaded for windows service pack 1 or higher.

So from this trial effort, I now have IE 8 instead of the previous IE 7.

I looked at one microsoft web page ( below ) for downloading windows service pack 1, and it looks complicated with all those many buttons.

Is there an easier and better way ?

How do I determine what windows service pack is in my computer now ?

Lenovo Windows 7 purchased new 2011

I tried this method:

To learn if Windows 7 SP1 is already installed

• Click the Start button [​IMG], right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
      If Service Pack 1 is listed under Windows edition, SP1 is already installed on your computer.

And the result says nothing about the service pack at all.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why would you balk at installing the service pack? Those things fix TONS of stuff and absolutely
    will be required over time.

Just download and do what they recommend - all of my home and office computers (Win7) do
    this automatically and I've never once had an issue

3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Service pack installs go easy these days...
  4. KD7SIZ

5. N6HCM

N6HCM Ham Member QRZ Page

that doesn't exist. the easiest way for you to get this is to go to the Control Panel and choose Windows Update. This will get you the service pack (the right version for your system) and any other updates you've missed.
  6. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Install Updates Automatically! And just my opinion IE sucks. 2nd opinion, IE 10 sucks more. There is another thread for that.
  7. AC2EV

AC2EV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The easiest method is to use Windows Update.

• Go to the Windows 7 Service Pack 1 download webpage on the Microsoft website, and then click Continue.
    • Choose either the 32-bit (x86) or the 64-bit (x64) version of SP1 depending on whether you're running the 32-bit or the 64-bit version of Windows 7, and then click Download.
      • To find out which version you're running, click the Start button [​IMG], right-click Computer, and then clickProperties. Under System, next to System type, you can view the operating system.
    • To install SP1 immediately, click Open or Run, and then follow the instructions on your screen. To install SP1 later, click Save and download the installation file to your computer. When you're ready to install SP1, double-click the file.
    • On the Install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 page, click Next.
    • Follow the instructions on your screen. Your computer might restart during the installation.
    • After installation is complete, log on to your computer at the Windows logon prompt. You might see a notification indicating whether the update was successful.
    • If you disabled your antivirus software, enable it again.

I would highly recommend not using Internet Explorer for the following reason. IE is the one of the most used browsers and as such the vast majority of malware/viruses target IE as they way into your system. For this reason I would suggest using a different browser that isn't susceptible to these attacks. You don't want to be the low hanging fruit. Firefox, Opera and/or Google Chrome work just and well and in some cases better and faster.
  8. WD1R

WD1R Ham Member QRZ Page

The first problem I see is that unless I am completely brain dead Windows 7 came with Internet Explorer 8. This means if you just upgraded from IE 7 to IE 8, you are running Vista or XP, not Windows 7.

9. W1SDM

W1SDM Ham Member QRZ Page

From the link that you provided:

"Do not click download if you are updating just one computer: A smaller, more appropriate download is now available on Windows Update. The best way to ensure you get Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 is by turning on the Automatic Updates feature. You can use our step-by-step instructions or, if you prefer, let us do it for you. If Windows Update is not offering you the option to install the service pack, see KB 2498452. If you are encountering a problem when installing the service pack from Windows update, see Troubleshoot problems installing a service pack for Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2."

So it appears you shouldn't select ANY of those 10 buttons...

I don't use IE on a regular basis (only when testing to see how badly it renders the HTML I am working on) because I believe it is more vulnerable to bringing you troubles. I don't think it is because of the total number of people using the browser, since it hasn't been the most popular browser since about 2008, but rather because MANY people who use IE use it because that is what came with the computer and they don't have the knowledge or inclination to attempt to install a better browser. People who don't take the time to understand the problems that can exist with IE are thus more susceptible to other exploits because if they don't have the knowledge to install a new browser, they probably don't know much about computer security and so invite trouble.

Browser usage stats from ( :

[TABLE="class: reference"]
    [TH="align: right"]Internet Explorer[/TH]
    [TH="align: right"]Firefox[/TH]
    [TH="width: 16%, align: right"]Chrome[/TH]
    [TH="width: 16%, align: right"]Safari[/TH]
    [TH="width: 16%, align: right"]Opera[/TH]
    [TD="align: left"]February[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]13.5 %[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]29.6 %[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]50.0 %[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]4.1 %[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]1.8 %[/TD]
    [TD="align: left"]January[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]14.3 %[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]30.2 %[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]48.4 %[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]4.2 %[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"]1.9 %[/TD]
  10. WD1R

WD1R Ham Member QRZ Page

Careful Tom, different reporting services show different stats depending in who and how they monitor. The stats you presented are only for a website for web developers, so the number are slanted away from IE. For a set of statistics that show more of the "general public" usage, try this one:

These stats show IE with an overwhelming 51%+, Firefox with about 14.3% and Chrome with about 14%. These numbers are much closer to a real global picture of who uses what, and the primary reason websites should be designed for IE first, like it or not.

Personally, I like IE9, haven't been using 10 long enough to really say but so far so good, 8 was OK I guess, and as for 7..... what a piece of junk. I have web site that are compatible with IE4.5, 5, 6, 8, 9, Chrome 18+ and every version of FireFox I tried but not with IE7. What a joke.

11. KD7SIZ

I have downloaded foxfire that works good, but I would still like to get my microsoft IE up to date, in case I need it for something else unknown in the future.

Please tell me how to easily transfer the Favorites from my present working IE 8 to Foxfire.

I tried the internal windows update, but apparently I must wait until this update decides to want to tell me when it wants me to update it with the service pack. It has not made this decision for me for a long time.

Regarding the web page for the service pack free download ( ), I need some advice. Number one problem is that I can not find the beginning first continue button anywhere, as I think it was not put in. Also, if I ever find this first continue button should I just ignor all the ten other download buttons ?

Here is a little of what my computer properties says: Window 7 Home Premium - 64 bit Operating System - Lenovo Win 7 PC
  12. W7UUU

What's foxfire?
  13. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Firefox. My personal preference is Firefox and Chrome. Chrome seems to work better. ANYTHING is better than IE.
  14. W7UUU

Oh, I knew that. Chrome guy here. Just messin' with the OP who refuses to do Windows Service Pack updates, that's all.

15. KD7SIZ

I tried to do the windows updates as I explained in two ways, and it doesn't update or there is no continue button.

Tell me also please how to move my favorites list from IE 8 to Foxfire and also Chrome.

After a few attempts, I now also have Chrome.
  16. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

17. KD7SIZ

I would appreciate it if someone would please tell me how to "Delete ones Browsing History" when using both Foxfire and Chrome, as one can do in IE 8.

I can't find the delete browsing history buttons for these two new browsers, that I just downloaded today.
  18. KD7SIZ

On the very first line of your instructions as given above, I have tried several times, but I can not find the continue button.
  19. KD7SIZ

Sorry to trouble you with this point. A google search clearly explained how to do this ( I hope ).
  20. K5TRI

K5TRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's the link:

To the OP: You should install SP1 or higher. Here's the link to the higher version of SP1:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.