Do I need a ground rod with this setup?

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by K4KZF, Jul 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. K4KZF

K4KZF Ham Member QRZ Page

This is my current arrangement when camping in my travel trailer, at parks WITH power:
    Icom 7200
    MFJ993B Tuner
    MFJ4230MVP Power Supply plugged into extension cord and surge protector at the camp power. pole, not the camper
    Buddipole Antenna

I set up outside the camper, not inside. Works very well, contacts all over the US and DX.

Question - I am using ground wires from the radio and tuner to a 2ft copper rod hammered in the ground about 1ft. Do I need to do this? If the weather turns stormy I unplug and take the station down. Is there another reason to ground equipment I haven't learned yet?

Attached Files:

2. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm afraid you don't have much of a ground with a 2 foot ground rod (one foot in the ground). So, personally, I wouldn't bother.

3. AF7ON

AF7ON Ham Member QRZ Page

In a temporary portable operation you don’t need a ground rod for electrical safety or as an RF ground. A 1-ft ground rod won’t buy you much of either in any event.

Your only exposure to electrical shock is from the power supply. I prefer power supplies with a chassis grounded to the electrical power supply - these are pretty darned safe.

If storms threaten, I lower antennas and disconnect everything.

Mike

4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Safety ground is provided through the electrical outlet.

The Buddipole is a balanced antenna and requires no grounding for RF effectiveness.

Your operations is mobile and temporary. One would not be expected to install a lightning protection system.

5. K4KZF

K4KZF Ham Member QRZ Page

Fingers crossed that was the answer. Just shortened my setup/takedown time.

Thank you

K0UO likes this.
  6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You are doing fine. For being licensed five months you've jumped in with both feet. Have a ball on the air! bill

K0UO, K4KZF and KD8DEY like this.
  7. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

QSL