ad: CQMM-1

Do Earthquakes cause Propagation dropouts? Can the RF-Seismograph see earthqakes?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Feb 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VA3ROM

VA3ROM Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting NASA video watching effects of earthquake and tsunami on ionospheric TEC as seen by GPS satellites and ground stations plus explanations (Rayleigh waves and Gravity waves!!!). It doesn't mean that earthquakes can be predicted but it does show that they probably can affect the ionosphere but probably wouldn't have much affect on radio propagation given the localized nature of the overall effect on TEC. Perhaps a mini-blackout of sorts over the area affected but who the heck in an earthquake/tsunami is going to be calling CQ to test out this theory, eh? 73

https://agrdailynews.com/2013/02/25/earthquakes-gravity-waves-and-ionospheric-hot-spots/

VE7DXW likes this.
  2. M3OZP

M3OZP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I find this interesting. Back in the 1990s I read an article in Monitoring Times about how earthquakes were affecting radio signals.
    It was discovered that people listening to FM radio had to keep retuning their radios becuase the broadcasting station kept drifting off frequency.
    days before an earthquake struck the neighbouring area.

I did some experiments myself using the HF bands and noticed that stations broadcasting would suddenly become very loud and distorted
    a day or two before an earthquake struck on the Continent that the station was broadcasting from.

I tried to get a local University interested in doing some experiments, unfortunately the person I was dealing with had left the University
    to take up a post elsewhere. So nothing further could be done.

Good luck with the experiments.

Chris
    m3ozp