DMR repeater on a satellite

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by KK6YAE, Sep 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

I was taking your comments at face value. I had no reason whatsoever to take your words any other way. Okay, I guess I took them literally... but not too literally.

I would suspect that you are doing what a lot of people do when writing down what they are thinking... they forget that without vocal inflections, facial expressions, etc., the reader has no way of knowing what your tone actually is. He can assume it... but so much is missing. Emojis were invented as an attempt to deal with this, they help, but they fall far short of effective, in my opinion.

Put another way... writing can suck as a form of communication. I had an SEC that wouldn't reply to me for like 6 months once and I was trying to get a project done. I finally confronted him at a face to face meeting and asked him what the heck the problem was. He went off on some tirade about something I had supposedly said giving me all kinds of grief, and I had no idea what he was talking about. I finally stopped him and asked when I had supposedly said this terrible thing and he recalled parts of some e-mail. I had to think for a second, but finally dawned on me. I remembered which one he was talking about and what I had said, but he had misread one part it. He got ONE WORD WRONG that completely changed the entire meaning. When I repeated the statement to him as originally expressed, he had this stupid expression come across his face, uttered a 2-3 word apology then turned around and sheepishly walked away. When in doubt, talk it out.

My point? Maybe your tactic was born of good intentions, but it was completely lost on me; I dare say probably others. That kind of tactic would be a tough one to pull off even IF you knew your audience well and catered the delivery to them. I've never seen you post here before, so I dare say you didn't know this audience at all. Maybe best to play it straight up next time... you'll probably get a much better response. ;)

What's that saying... the devil is in the details? And if you agree it's annoying, well... cue Captain Obvious to deliver the tagline, I guess. :po_O

W5SAT and WD9EWK like this.