DIY - Yaesu FH-2 remote control

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by PY2RAF, Apr 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. PY2RAF

PY2RAF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi there, list! o/

Apologies for cross-posting (posted originally in "Ham Made Gear"), but wanted to share with you guys that after finding Yaesu FH-2 remote control a bit expensive, and after looking to the schematics and finding that it is just push buttons and resistors, I definitely thought it was not worth its weight in gold.

So, considering the build barrier super low, I made a prototype and I ended with a full PCB layout in few hours.

Long story short, If you can handle a soldering iron, you can *definitely* build yours! I have documented the whole enterprise in https://github.com/rfrht/RFH-2 including how to get a PCB at your doorstep (5 PCBs for $2... Seriously).

Oh, RFH-2 is compatible with FT-991, FT-991A, FT-950, FTDX-9000, FTDX-5000, FTDX-3000, FT-2000, FTDX-1200, FT-1000

Last but not least, it have that special taste that it is something actually built by.. YOU! ;-)

Hope you have some fun and enjoy!

73s de PY2RAF.

K6RBK, W3AVP, K7GQ and 1 other person like this.
  2. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Obrigado, Rodrigo! This looks like a fun and useful project. I only wish I could vote 2 'likes' !

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW

PY2RAF likes this.
  3. PY2RAF

De nada, David!!!

Thanks a lot for your encouragement and kind words!!!

This is what motivates to keep sharing! ;-D

Oh, how I wish so badly I had the source code of FT2000RC software... I would implement a FT-991/FT-991A command set in a jiffy, because MOST of the heavy load job is already done by the developer! Good & free stuff, though... Closed-source, you can't extend, adapt and re-share again!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

73s de PY2RAF.

N2PQW likes this.
  4. AJ8MH

AJ8MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Built this years ago for the FT-950. I didn't need all the buttons...only 7 of the 12 available on the FH-2.
    ft950remote.jpg

W7UUU, N2PQW, PY2RAF and 1 other person like this.
  5. PY2RAF

This is.........

AWESOME COOL!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing, Joe!!! GREAT project!!!!!

6. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Where did you find the schematic? That I'd like to have.
    I had to make my own keypad for my TS990S and would also like to make one for my FT991A.
    Barry

7. PY2RAF

Hi Barry o/

Found by accident, I initially looked up Yaesu FH-2 and a few schematics turned out to show.

If you google for "yaesu fh-2 schematic", you will be presented even more schematics!

FWIW: Mine is https://github.com/rfrht/RFH-2/blob/master/RFH-2.pdf

73s, Rodrigo

8. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

That's great. Thank you so much.

Barry, KU3X

9. W3AVP

W3AVP Ham Member QRZ Page

Rodrigo

Excellent work! I'll be ordering supplies to assemble one.

Other schematics didn't have the capacitor (at least, I don't think so). What does it do for the unit?

Thanks!

10. PY2RAF

Hi Alex!!!

I used this schematic as a source of inspiration:

http://www.linuxwolfpack.com/images/yaesu_fh_2_schematic.png

The cap probably helps on some decoupling, but won't quit working as well if you omit it.

Thanks for the kind words by the way!

W3AVP likes this.