Discussion of Religious Materials

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by ZGRAF, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have no idea what you're saying.

The only dogma science has is honesty and integrity. All else is open to revision.

Most religions have long lists of dogmas which are not to be questioned, let alone revised.

This does NOT mean all scientists are honest and have impeccable integrity. Neither do religious folks!

----

The BIG Difference is simple:

Science lays out its findings in an orderly fashion, based on observations, experiments, hypotheses, data, etc. Scientific documents are only a way of keeping track; they are NOT a primary source.

Most (but not all) religions base their beliefs on ancient documents, often of unknown origin, and on personal testimony that cannot be checked. These are considered primary sources which must be believed without question.

See the difference?

Normally there's no real conflict, because most religions do not cover the same ground as science. The Bible doesn't try to explain radio or gravity.

But sometimes the collision is head-on. There are a considerable number of folks right here in the USA, today, who say that the entire Universe is less than 7000 years old, and was all created in 144 hours (six days). They say all of us MUST believe this, that it is the actual TRUTH, despite all the scientific evidence to the contrary.

They say this ONLY because of the Book of Genesis. They interpret it a certain way, and nothing else - not data, not experiments, not other interpretations - will change what they believe and what they INSIST that we believe.

2. KB9UWU

KB9UWU Ham Member QRZ Page

How Christian of you!

3. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

If it saves his life it is better than anything you have done, but thanks for your kind and caring atheistic post. How atheistic of you!:rolleyes:

4. K1FBI

That is exactly what I am saying Jim.

For the record, after my mother dying unexpectedly in December who had tests 3 days earlier and doctors(science) said there was nothing wrong, my dog having cancer in his mouth and doctors(science) not willing to do anything because the cost is not worth it to them for a dog.... wait it gets better... My XYL's father being told this past Monday morning by doctors(science)he just had a slight cold and nothing else was wrong suffered massive heart attacks that same afternoon and died; I am not that keen on science or a loving god at this point in my life.

I think I'm just going to charge a new ham radio whether I can afford it or not and enjoy it before I'm gone.

5. N4AYZ

N4AYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

With all due respect, it seems that when bad things happen to people you don't know, the misery in this world is only an abstraction. But when misery, pain, and suffering hit home, you change your tune. XX did a top-notch job of bringing to our attention just some of the horrors that innocent people endure all over the world. But the believer's heart is seldom moved by that; he always comes up with some reason why the suffering can be explained away.

Now that it's beginning to happen within your sphere, you start questioning the existence of a benevolent deity. That's a good thing, but your heart should have been moved long before now.

6. K1FBI

Thank You and it was moved long before this. I have always felt for others suffering and wondered why someone or something that never caused one ounce of harm in this world should suffer. It was always explained away by the spiritual leaders I was taught to trust. I am not invalidating the good points XX has made. As he already knows his delivery (as mine too) sometimes makes the message harder to receive.

7. AC4RD

AC4RD Ham Member QRZ Page

What say we approach it scientifically?

Your working hypothesis is: "AC4RD is one cheeseburger away from a heart attack."

Yesterday I had zero cheeseburgers, so that will be the control group. The observational data from yesterday is: Zero cheeseburgers, zero heart attacks. So the data to date tends to support your hypothesis. But obviously the other arm of the question hasn't been tested yet.

SO: You send me $10, and I'll go to my favorite local bar and get a big cheeseburger platter and a Bass Ale on tap. The ten bucks won't cover the tip for the waitress, but I'm a believer in the efficacy of the scientific method, and I'm willing to help underwrite the cost of the study.

If I have a heart attack, it will tend to CONFIRM your hypothesis. Though obviously more testing is going to be necessary, ultimately. We don't know what the expected standard deviation is going to be in the cheeseburger/MI correlation curve, so we'll need multiple tests. So, tell you what, you send me $100 and we'll test your theory for ten consecutive days, OK? ;)

You pick up the tab, and I'm the test subject: that's "collaborative science." :)

8. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I accept such information as there is a large amount of data that proves it. All the way back to the Pre-Cambrian, billions of years ago. Rocks, with fossils, show what lived back then. Of course, soft tissue doesn't typically become fossils. That is why fossil shark teeth show up, but not the shark itself.

9. K1FBI

Oh you've got me laughing. I love a good burger as much as you, maybe more. My stats were not that healthy and I changed my habits but I still enjoy in moderation. If you really want a burger and a Bass, PM me your PayPal account;my treat. Just don't have a heart attack, I'd feel really bad.

10. N4AYZ

N4AYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

4RD,

I think you are on to something.

I would be willing to be the subject in an experiment like yours, but with filet mignon and french fries. Or pizza.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.