Discussion of Religious Materials

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by ZGRAF, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AC4RD

AC4RD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you! I like that picture--my wife took it in our back yard.

And I'm NOT the d00d bragging about how tough I am or what martial arts I do. I find that pretty pathetic, personally.

Though I will point out that I'm a Ninth-Degree Folksinger who has studied under Dave Van Ronk. :)

2. AC4RD

AC4RD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you! I like that picture--my wife took it in our back yard.

I don't understand the "no comment" thing. I'm NOT the d00d bragging about how tough I am or what martial arts I do. I find that pretty pathetic, personally.

Though I will point out that I'm a Ninth-Degree Folksinger who has studied under Dave Van Ronk. :)

3. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

What I find pathetic and sad is that you are one cheeseburger away from a heart attack. Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead! That is the name of a movie I suggest you watch. I'll even buy a copy if you like and mail it to your QRZ address. I'm sure there are a few people that would like to see you stick around for awhile.

http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/

4. K1FBI

Nothing more than scientists who write about what "happened" millions of years ago. Yet you would readily accept that....

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  5. N4AYZ

N4AYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a huge difference between your methods and those of scientists. You are relying primarily on documents; scientists rely upon physical evidence and their knowledge of the laws of nature. The latter are much more reliable than the former.

6. K1FBI

The laws of nature are laws made by man. Are their laws not written primarily in documents? What I'm saying is that while they may have bones from a dinosaur, they are still only taking an educated guess at what that dinosaur looked like. They are not first hand witnesses.

7. N4AYZ

N4AYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, the laws of nature are written by man. But they are descriptions of regularities found in nature, and before they obtain the status of law, they are verified over and over and over.

You're really reaching on this one.

8. K1FBI

What I'm really stretching on this morning is calf muscles, after 200 jumping jacks last night they are feeling tight. It is easy for people to see the same results over and over again and call this verification. The results seen are often those expected. It is when someone looks from the outside with a fresh perspective that advances in science are made.

9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No, they're not! Wherever do you get that idea?

W

No. They are developed from observations, experiments, data, etc.

More importantly, they are testable. If you have any doubts about the law of gravity, you can set up experiments to verify it.

Of course - but they look at ALL the relevant data, and make educated conclusions about what dinosaurs look like. The evidence goes beyond bones, too.

And "what dinosaurs looked like" isn't a law of nature. It's an estimate.

More important, science is ALWAYS open to new data, new hypotheses, new experiments, revisions, changes, etc. The only dogma in science is complete honesty and integrity.

Some religions are like that - but most aren't.

10. K1FBI

If you read my last post you would see we are in agreement on this except for the honesty and integrity part.. that is a stretch on your part; you are not that naïve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.