Discussion of Religious Materials

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by ZGRAF, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. ZGRAF

ZGRAF QRZ Member

Hello, I am not licensed yet, but will be getting my Technician soon.

One thing I was wondering about. Are there any official rules regarding discussion of religious material or teaching on the ham bands? Is one permitted to read passages from the Bible over-the-air, etc? What limitations (if any) are there?

-john

2. W5DQ

W5DQ Ham Member QRZ Page

John,

There are no hard rules (as far as I recall - didn't actually go pull the regs to see) covering religion on the radio. Personally I don't do it but I know that there are nets where the main group is religious based but I don't ever recall them 'holding services' on the air. I personally have handled traffic (passed messages from someone to another place or person) for missionaries (a long time ago). The one issue that is usually expressed is don't make off-color comments or jokes about religious groups or with religious contents. In this day and age of religious strife between the different faiths, I personally would say leave religion out of ham radio. Now that's not to say that you could not contact friends of the same faith and have a ragchew and mention things going on in your church or synogoue or whatever it may be called. Also I would not bring the actual reading of the Bible into the discussion either simply because you just inviting weirdos to start giving you a bunch of grief too.

I am a believer but I also believe in not going out of my way to put myself into a squabble, especially on the radio. I strongly recommend you obtain a copy of the FCC Regs Part 97 and read it to be for certain.

We teach our new hams that the basic idea is "If you couldn't say it in front of your Mother, don't say it on the radio. She might be listening :)"

3. KC8QMU

KC8QMU Ham Member QRZ Page

If you get your general license and explore the 40 and 75 meter phone bands you will find nets that themselves are of a religious nature......... there is nothing illegal about it........

4. KB9UWU

KB9UWU Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen

5. KA9VQF

KA9VQF Ham Member QRZ Page

There are a lot of bible thumpers on the air almost anywhere you tune.

The rules are you are not supposed to 'broadcast' on the amateur bands. Broadcasting is just one way transmissions. If you should find at least one other like minded person and are actually having a conversation on your topic,... its all good. Just remember to identify yourself every 10 minutes and give a little pause for the other station/s to do the same.

Just flipping your bible open and reading a few pages {or more} to the world in general is not OK.

That would be a QSO I would tune away from. I have my own ideas of religion and I keep them mostly to myself. When I hear a bible thumper going on and on I tune in something a little more interesting like the details someones last colonoscopy or lacking that kind riveting discussion I may turn the rig off and go do something really interesting like watching paint dry.

Be aware that there are a lot of very knowledgeable folks out there some are fairly high in various church's and can go toe to toe with the best of them on theological matters. Interpretation of the bible can be a very individual thing. And there are more than one holy {to someone/anyone} books in the world. You might end up having someone swear out a fatwa on ya.

I'd try real hard to suppress any desire to do it.

6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hams may discuss, among one another, any subject that is not obscene or indecent.

"Broadcasting" (one way transmissions) to the general public is prohibited.

One way transmission of subjects of specific interest to hams is permitted, e.g. ARRL, AR Newsline.

However, I have never found any topics about radio in the Bible! ;)

The FCC takes a dim view of attempts to thwart or evade the regulations. For example about five years ago a Missouri ham was fined for transmitting Bible verses as 'morse code practice'. Fair warning.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a difference between judiciously leaving it out and forbidding it. For better or worse, amateur radio is the last bastion of uncensored communications. Take advantage of it but don't abuse it. That part is covered already in the DECENCY rules. :)

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I am a member of a religious cult, the Branch Yagidian.

Our goal is to install beam antennas anywhere there isn't one.:eek:

We don't go door-to-door, but we "Spread the Good News" on the radio.

9. WH2HAO

WH2HAO QRZ Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Please leave it out, it floods my local AM band and it's nauseating....

10. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I knew that.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.