DIGITAL MODES :

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by M0XRZ, Nov 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well anyways, the analogy of ASCII characters as symbols is completely false. You would need to send one character per baud. Let's say each character has its own symbol; that requires something like QAM-256.

2. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am generally disappointed with digital voice. I remember when D-Star was first coming on the scene. The main selling point was that, with digital voice, you will either hear a perfect signal or nothing at all. No longer would you struggle to understand what someone was saying against a background of static. What they neglected to mention was that you would frequently struggle to pick out signals against a background of digital hash and weird, R2D2 sounds. If I'd had a better idea what to expect, I'd never have taking the plunge into digital voice, but I expected my fellow hams, who presented themselves as "independent reviewers", to give me the straight scoop. My mistake.

3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

One On, One OFF, one stop bit.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yes

KK4NSF and M0DPX like this.
  5. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

other than CW, the only digital I use is no digital at all. I tried FT8 and some of the others.... and found them booooring. After watching 500 QSOs scoll down the screen with nobody doing anything other than acknowledging that they heard each other it lost it's appeal.... so I went back to analog .

WD0BCT likes this.
  6. K2GOG

K2GOG Ham Member QRZ Page

I feel your pain on D-Star. I tried it when it first came out and thought it had promise, but I soon realized it was not going to see any vendor other than Icom endorse it. After 10+ years, there has been only one other vendor with a radio that supports D-Star. And funny enough, I bought it (Kenwood TH-D74), but not for D-Star. I mainly use the digital recorder when working satellite with it for later playback.

DMR on the other hand is open standard, so many more vendors have radios for sale and I am not locked into a one vendor ecosystem. I have Alinco, TYT, Anytone, Vertex and Retevis DMR radios that all can talk to each other. And, just like any analog radio, they each have other unique features specific to each vendor, but they still all can talk to each other.

Fusion has the best audio fidelity, but again.... one vendor only and I am a Yaesu fan. NXDN and P25 do not count as those are still mostly commercial only equipment for now.

Give digital voice another try, I think you will like it and DMR costs are not bad to get started compared to D-Star back when or even now.

There are also ways to cross mode through a hotspot. So, Fusion and DMR can talk across networks to other modes with the most success and see how active some of the other modes are through cross linked systems.

I even have an echolink node set up that is linked full time to one DMR talk group if you want to try that to go analog to digital or computer to digitial. Details at stem.hvdn.org

7. N6OPS

N6OPS Ham Member QRZ Page

C4FM works great ! Yeasu has alot of features too.

8. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry to dredge something up from months ago, but I see this often; and it needs to be corrected.

DMR, C4FM, and D-Star do not require a computer.

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Touche :)

Dave
    W7UUU

10. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

._. _ _ _ _._. _._ _ _ _ _. :)