Digital mode on 40 meter band?

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by W7ARE, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W7ARE

W7ARE Ham Member QRZ Page

We used to follow a band plan, formal or informal, in which digital modes, primarily RTTY, operated above 7.060 and CW below in the 40 meter band. I work CW primarily. We also used to listen before transmitting and would never knowingly interfere with another station already in operation. Now, I can't find a spot not occupied by a RTTY station, and if I do, it's a sure bet a RTTY station will tune up and start squawking over the top of me. Are band plans and operator courtesy no longer in operation on 40 meters?

2. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, so this post can start its down hill spiral early here goes.

This problem has to be the fault of ex CBers and freebanders who have become no code hams in the last year. I am also sure it is also the fault of the FCC not doing it own testing anymore and not making prospective amateurs drive or walk 10 miles up hill an a blizzard to take their exam at the FCC office. There, I think that just about covers it. :cool: and global warming!

3. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's the CQ RTTY WPX contest this weekend.

To say WPX RTTY is popular would be an understatement............Forty meters will return to "normal" in less than one hour from now.

Tom KCØW

4. W7ARE

The RTTY contest explains this weekend. Is it a recurring weekend event? It's been the same for several weeks now. Hey, N5PAR, anybody ever tell you that you look like "Frank Cannon" from the old tv series Cannon?

5. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Next weekend the CW ops can invade the "RTTY band plan" with the ARRL DX... Win win.

6. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Subscriber QRZ Page

Exactly...

Suspect there will be complaints :)

Bill N9DSJ

7. N9DSJ

All will be "normal" in about 20 minutes. Contests happen; not overly unique to 40 meters. Not sure this is new; was the same 30 years ago. Several options; fight through it, move to SSB/WARC/VHF/UHF bands, join in or simply go do something else and hunker down until it is over....

I can see why it annoys some but it is the way it is...

Bill N9DSJ

8. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Your correct.

This weekend is/was CQ WPX RTTY.

Last weekend was the Mexico International RTTY Contest. (a biggie)

The week before that was the BARTG RTTY Contest. (another biggie)

You are 100% correct in your observation regarding a big upswing in RTTY activity for the past 3 weekends now..............Have no fear, no further big RTTY contests until the NAQP RTTY on February 23rd. :p

Tom KCØW

9. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In addition to all of the above, WPX is an international operating event. Not all countries abide by our understood bandplans.

I doubt there will be much complaint about next weekend's run. CW events don't seem to generate the angst that densely packed phone subbands do.

10. N9DSJ

Well, I want to complain in advance...no good reason but want to be first in line.

Bill N9DSJ

11. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

12. KK4JSJ

KK4JSJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This weekend I built my KX3 and put it on the air with some JT65. The RTTY was clown stomping the 40,20,15 and 10 meter bands where I normally operate. I quickly moved to 30,17 and 12 to get my setup right and get a few contacts under my belt at 5w using a wire dipole in my apartment. Once I was comfortable with my setup I went outdoors and put up my Buddipole and decided that I needed to see if I could make some 5w contacts on 40, 20, 15 and 10 while surrounded by that madhouse of a RTTY contest. To my surprise and probably to the surprise of those I worked...I could complete contacts from KY to a good opening into WA, OR, CA in the middle of RTTY above and below me. I learned a lot about my filters today. I also learned I don't need much power to have a good time either. My longest contact was about 1900 miles...but I did see later when I got home that a signal was decoded in Japan on 17 meters...at 10559 km...so not a bad day.

I did play with the RTTY decoder on the KX3 so I could tell who was blasting us. I went up to the normal RTTY area and tried to make a few contacts but when someone says QRZ'd and I try to send 5w...the guy in Thailand with the kilochicken amp is blowing me outta the water...so I moved on. Did have some very clean SSB contacts on 10meters in the middle of the day.

Moral of the story....you can always fight through the storm....or move to calmer waters....or simply go to other modes....even with the contest...there was plenty of space to enjoy radio today.

13. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The problem is that there are too many bandplans for 40 meters, too many gentlemen's agreements, and a distinct shortage of gentlemen.

The U.S. bandplan calls for digital ops to be in the high end of our CW band, but that region is also occupied by phone stations - though there has been some movement out of that segment (not enough). Meanwhile, IARU Region 1 and 3 call for digital operations lower in the band. Now, the U.S. hams could simply ignore all the DX down there and stick to the higher end of the band, but that's not very likely since they are not violating any rules to go down there with digital stuff. You certainly will hear activity around 7035 most of the time. I hear a lot more in the evening around 7035 than I do at 7070 or 7080, and as long as the DX is on 7035, I expect it to stay that way. You also have JT65 at 7039 in Europe and Asia, and 7068 in Region 2.

What's needed is a new 'worldwide' bandplan for the amateur band 7.0 to 7.2 MHz., with one 'watering hole' for digital, and with the phone ops moved above 7.1 MHz.. What we have now is too balkanized to be workable. Meanwhile, the CW/digital band extends up to 7.125 MHz.. Everybody has at least 100 kHz on that band. We should not ignore the frequencies above 7.100, lest FCC decide we need yet more 'phone band expansion' like they did on 75 meters.

14. W4HAY

W4HAY Subscriber QRZ Page

OK, this is kind of like giving away the location of your favorite deer stand or fishing hole, but go up between 7.100 and 7.125. We just finished our SKCC Weekend Sprint and nary a beedle-beedle-beedle was heard at this QTH.

15. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yea, actually I have been told that. Especially back when the TV show was on. That picture is several years old and I have since shaved the mustache and my hair is a lot more gray but that picture pretty much captures me. I had my mustache from the time I was about 18 years old. I grew it to make me look older. I wore it until I turned 50 and was looking for a job. I noticed it was suddenly more gray than black so I shaved it to make myself look younger. Ironic isn't it.

16. W7ARE

A job at 50?

That is funny! i do have to tell you, I was forced to go to work (against my will at that) a lot earlier than age 50. Also, when I first grew a mustache (while in Vietnam in the 60s), it was blonde and sparse and didn't show up in a photograph! By the time I could grow one that people could see, it too was grey. I gave up on it!
    I had a freind in Vietnam, named George Wooten, with whom both you and the character Frank Cannon could have been triplets!
    Take care,
    Mark
    P.S., I only use 40 meters once a week, usually (although I've used it much more in the past 3 weeks to transition, finally, from straight key to paddle). I contact my Elmer from the early 60s, who is about 1300 miles away for an hour each Sunday evening for a weekly CW chat. The last 3 weeks are the first time I can remember when we've had RTTY become QRM at our usual frequency, 7.051. Just wondered what happened.

17. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

Good show Lee. I had trouble with my RTTY setup and so I gave up and worked the Dutch PACC contest. Didn't get as many contacts but it was fun searching for them.

18. N6OIL

N6OIL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey guys look at it this way, like what one of the posters said it gave him a chance to figure out what his filters do or are capable of. Me? I did operate in the contest the past few days and I tried to stay in the RTTY bandplan but at times I was forced to go to the top and try to do my running from there, all th ebig boys had the prime spots and since I was somewhat QRP dependent on what band I was on (10w on 80m). I also learned this will be the last RTTY contest I will operate using ASFK, what waste of a good filters if I can't use the RTTY mode. Ok I got of topic, sorry.

Rory

19. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Which indeed they should do.

Most of the time the band is devoid of signals above about 7060 except for a handful of slow-speed CW, one or two foreign phone, and maybe sometimes a data signal of some sort, while CW and RTTY slug it out on the lower end, 7.125-7.200 is packed solid with phone and SSTV, and 7200 and above is at best of limited use at night because of the broadcast interference. There would be more operating space for all modes, CW, RTTY, data, SSTV and phone world-wide in the broadcast-free portion of the band between 7000 and 7200, if we had a sensible band plan in effect internationally, designed for uniform levels of occupancy/congestion across the whole 200 kHz, with no wide swathe of unused frequencies in the middle while both ends are overly congested.

Since phone operation in the lower 48 is prohibited below 7125, why are US amateurs in Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico and various US overseas territories still granted special phone privileges in 7075-7100, now that broadcast interference no longer makes it impossible for them to operate above 7100?

20. WG7X

WG7X Ham Member QRZ Page

K0RGR... +10 Good answer. Also K4KYV +10

But I still have a question for KK4JSJ: What is a "kilochicken" amp? Sounds messy to me.

73 Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.