ad: KF7PMW-1

Digital mode on 40 meter band?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7ARE, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-innov
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-rl
  1. W7ARE

W7ARE Ham Member QRZ Page

We used to follow a band plan, formal or informal, in which digital modes, primarily RTTY, operated above 7.060 and CW below in the 40 meter band. I work CW primarily. We also used to listen before transmitting and would never knowingly interfere with another station already in operation. Now, I can't find a spot not occupied by a RTTY station, and if I do, it's a sure bet a RTTY station will tune up and start squawking over the top of me. Are band plans and operator courtesy no longer in operation on 40 meters?

2. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, so this post can start its down hill spiral early here goes.

This problem has to be the fault of ex CBers and freebanders who have become no code hams in the last year. I am also sure it is also the fault of the FCC not doing it own testing anymore and not making prospective amateurs drive or walk 10 miles up hill an a blizzard to take their exam at the FCC office. There, I think that just about covers it. :cool: and global warming!

3. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's the CQ RTTY WPX contest this weekend.

To say WPX RTTY is popular would be an understatement............Forty meters will return to "normal" in less than one hour from now.

Tom KCØW

4. W7ARE

W7ARE Ham Member QRZ Page

The RTTY contest explains this weekend. Is it a recurring weekend event? It's been the same for several weeks now. Hey, N5PAR, anybody ever tell you that you look like "Frank Cannon" from the old tv series Cannon?

5. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Next weekend the CW ops can invade the "RTTY band plan" with the ARRL DX... Win win.

6. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly...

Suspect there will be complaints :)

Bill N9DSJ

7. N9DSJ

All will be "normal" in about 20 minutes. Contests happen; not overly unique to 40 meters. Not sure this is new; was the same 30 years ago. Several options; fight through it, move to SSB/WARC/VHF/UHF bands, join in or simply go do something else and hunker down until it is over....

I can see why it annoys some but it is the way it is...

Bill N9DSJ

8. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Your correct.

This weekend is/was CQ WPX RTTY.

Last weekend was the Mexico International RTTY Contest. (a biggie)

The week before that was the BARTG RTTY Contest. (another biggie)

You are 100% correct in your observation regarding a big upswing in RTTY activity for the past 3 weekends now..............Have no fear, no further big RTTY contests until the NAQP RTTY on February 23rd. :p

Tom KCØW

9. N8CPA

N8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

In addition to all of the above, WPX is an international operating event. Not all countries abide by our understood bandplans.

I doubt there will be much complaint about next weekend's run. CW events don't seem to generate the angst that densely packed phone subbands do.

10. N9DSJ

Well, I want to complain in advance...no good reason but want to be first in line.

Bill N9DSJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.