ad: Halibut-1

Digital Mode JS8 real time translation in foreign language!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Dec 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You seem to have several 10M SSB contacts in your QRZ logbook. Perhaps that radio can do what you're asking?

2. KM9R

KM9R Ham Member QRZ Page

Digital Mode JS8 real time translation in foreign language!

Ummm....no
    Google translate..... yes
    FT8's longwinded clone....no

cheers

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    W7UUU likes this.
  3. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

The next step is to leave out the hotspots at all. Oh wait... we already have WhatsApp....
    Anybody remember ham radio?

WN1MB likes this.
  4. KC8EQF

KC8EQF Ham Member QRZ Page

HTX-10 gave up the ghost

K3SZ likes this.
  5. KC8EQF

KC8EQF Ham Member QRZ Page

The bitx40 looks great, just what I want. I am not able to assemble, poor eyesight and quivering hands due to back injury. And come up with the $ !

6. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Dav
    Dave, Thank you for eloquently saying what I and many others were thinking. It seems to me that Dr. Taylors and Mr. Franke's invention of FT8 was groundbreaking. JS8CALL is not groundbreaking because it just builds and Dr. Taylor and Mr. Franke's hard work. FT8's code is open source, yes. And further use of the code is encouraged. But, that does not make it groundbreaking. The ground was already broken.

I can't even imagine what the OP means by "highly disruptive". The only thing disruptive is, like you said, the constant chearleading for FT8CALL.

I was an early implementer of FT8, but I have not and may not use FT8CALL. It is still just one computer chatting with another computer. I know I have said this before, but the new has worn off the crystal chandelier for me. FT8 and FT8CALL do not require any skill to use. Mouse clicking may be a skill and I am just not aware of it.

CW , on the other hand, requires skill to send, even more skill to send at a decent speed, even nore skill to copy and even more skill to copy fast code. I think of it this way, 5wpm is like riding a bike (sorry, I know yours were stolen). 12wpm like driving a car. 20WPM like NASCAR racing and 30WPM like Formula One racing.

I wish you and your family great success and happiness in the new year.

John
    K4AGO

W5TTP, PA0MHS, WN1MB and 1 other person like this.
  7. K4AGO

Maybe opening your eyes would help your blindness. You do need to see and understand that just because we disagree with him that it is NOT noise and pontification. Your alluding to another opinion as noise and pontification is denigrating. YOU are the only one that has denigrated others. Congratulations (?) on starting out the new year with a hiss and a strike.
    John K4AGO

M0REU and W7UUU like this.
  8. K4AGO

Well said neighbor. Thank you and Happy New Year.
    John
    K4AGO

9. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out W9AC's biography, I don't think he's blind at all...

10. N7IBC

N7IBC Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been a ham for about 34 years now.
    I've seen modes come and go, but with SSB down to minimal, and with CW a "no"go" because of hearing loss through my career, I use the digital modes.
    Years ago, PSK31 was the new rage, then Olivia, Contestia, Throb, etc, etc, etc. I tried a lot of them, with great success.
    I tried FT8, but just a quick contact is not my gig. I've worked a lot of countries over the years, but now just want general ham to ham radio contact with a little knowledge about the person at the other end.
    For those hunting countries, DXCC, or whatever, have a great time, go-get-em!
    As previously stated, SSB is down, and down a lot.

JS8 seems to be okay, but with all the talk about it, I listen constantly, and on the frequencies prescribed, but hear very, very few stations.
    I've been listening for several hours now, rotating bands, and have heard virtually only 4 or 5 QSO's occur, not many more.

If it's all the rage, where in the heck are people?

I don't have a dog in the fight I've been following in this thread, I just want to talk to people, either keyboard to keyboard or somehow.
    Not on FT8, not my bag.
    I'm not going to argue with anyone about the modes, which is better, which works at which noise level, or whatever.

11. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "If it's all the rage, where in the heck are people?"

Map of 40m "JS8" mode contacts using app "JS8CALL" for last 30 minutes from 7:40 PM CST courtesy of PSKReporter:

Clipboard.jpg

Note signal lines showing to "offshore" contacts east.

12. MI0NWA

MI0NWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Once I read you had to come back and re-download it every 10 days that was me out, can't be bothered with the hassle.

SE3X, K1JFJ and WU8Y like this.
  13. AA5CT

Yeah, it's not like "Rome was built in a day" is it? I expect miracles today, not yesterday, especially when volunteers are doing this on their time, their dime, unpaid, and not on welfare even! Toiling at the spinning wheel 'til midnight by lamp oil ... I expect perfection NOW

LOL! :p

14. MI0NWA

MI0NWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would probably wouldn't use it that much which means every time I wanted to use it I'd probably need to download it. Having a program that seizes to work after 10 days is a bit extreme, just releasing updates with a notification within the program would be best.

15. AA5CT

Well, why don't you wait until we're ("they are"; I've just been seeing if it runs under Win Xp) out of 'Beta'? Right now we're (they are) discussing a feature where a 'script' can be executed upon receipt of a callsign, such that a 'bell' or a message (or, an e-mail, SMS msg sent) can be pronounced on the PC speaker, to alert the operator. And, of course, it needs to be platform (Mac, PC, Raspberry, etc) compatible ... development continues with some very nice features and capabilities available when someone's learning curve approaches that point ...

MI0NWA likes this.