ad: CQMM-1

Digital Mode JS8 real time translation in foreign language!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Dec 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the support! There nearly 9,000 Ham down loaded this program (JS8), and I would like to have other enjoy the mode (JS8) as well

Thanks again!

Cheers
    NN2X, Tom

AA5CT likes this.
  2. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Even the "good movies" had press, otherwise, how do ppl find out? Look at all the 'advance press' radios get, here we have public notice of the 'advancement' taking place, not just 'advance press'!

3. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Talk about DISRUPTIVE, during a contest FT8 infests almost all of the digital and cw band segments with HIGH power(much higher than needed) stations clawing over each other(unnecessarily in my opinion). That said, I like and use FT8, a true marvel of software engineering but like JS8 as well...even better for most situations(yes, yes, DXpeditions can run many more contacts per hour that way) where it alone has the extreme weak signal free text keyboard to keyboard AND a marvelous set of Directed Messaging options. I admit I am quite fond of FSQ mode but Jason picked this up and put it on steroids for JS8, the best thing I like about this mode. You can query another station for a S/N report without the operator's intervention and even send a message with automatic acknowledgement. Try it, you'll like it, as long as you can tolerate the relatively low data rate. If you can't, you can always go back to 75 meter SSB with your 3KW Loudenboomer Amp to wait out the next 5-6 years of Solar Minimum. As always, YMMV

K3FHP
    Dave

4. KC8EQF

KC8EQF Ham Member QRZ Page

How do I find out more info on this ? Can I use a QRP CW rig ? How is the computer hook up to the radio ? Is the messages sent in normal conversation language. This sounds like the future of amateur radio.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

It's just a USB "digital over audio" mode like JT65, JT9, PSK, AFSK, FT8, etc. etc. etc.

So you need a radio capable of doing USB, you need a sound card interface, and a computer with a very precisely coordinated clock (usually running an app like Dimension4 etc. to keep the clock uber-accurate). You can't use any of these modes with a CW-only rig, and the computer is not optional.

Just Google "JS8Call" or start with the precurser, "FT8" and start reading

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN and K3XR like this.
  6. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yup. The Future Of Ham Radio -

click click click click click click click click click click

DXCC !

Or … if I were as really really excited about it as NN2X …. DXCC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

K4AGO, VK6APZ/SK2022, KA2LIM and 2 others like this.
  7. NN4RH

I think I remember back when PSK31 was the "disruptive technology" that everyone was going ga-ga over, about 20 years ago, there was something called the PSK Warbler, that was just a bare-bones QRP SSB rig designed solely for running PSK. I think it was a kit from the New Jersey QRP Group.

Since the radio hardware technology for FT8 and JS8 is still the same 20 year old audio over SSB that PSK used (granted the software is a lot more advanced ) seems like someone could ressurrect the "Warbler" kit and update it.

Then not only don't hams need propagation or good antennas to "work the world" (-24 dB !!!!!!!!!!!!) you won't even need an expensive transceiver.

Yaesu, Icom and Kenwood would go out of business from lack of sales.
    So would Elecraft and that Flex stuff.

No fancy rigs needed = no advertising. ARRL would go bankrupt. Wouldn't have ARRL to kick around any more.

No need for real antennas. Toss a 10 foot length of lamp cord on your basement floor and Work The World at -26 dB ! !!!!!!!! Won't have to worry about HOA antenna restrictions either since there's no need for outdoor antennas, "effective" or otherwise.

Propagation? Heck, Maunder Minimum, BRING IT! (!!!!!!)

-24 dB ! (!). Heck the next version might be even more sensitive, so sensitive that it can detect signals that are not even there !

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    K4AGO likes this.
  8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep... "innovative" maybe...or perhaps just "new." But "disruptive"?

9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Darned shame you're being forced to work JS/FT8. :rolleyes:

W7UUU likes this.
  10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoy trying many different modes and one of these days I will figure out the DMR thing. Saw a post for new one, Peanuts need to see what that is all about. One thing you can count on with something new, it won't be new for long. Have fun.

11. NN4RH

To read what some are saying, that's about all there is left. 1 million FT8 "QSOs" versus a few thousands of all other digital modes combined?

If it gets any more "popular" that may be all that there is left to do.

And that would be a real shame. The whole next generation of hams will only know Click Click Click Click Click.

12. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

So in other words, we would have truly gone "full circle" :)

Dave
    W7UUU

W5TTP, ND0TS, K3SZ and 3 others like this.
  13. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "Talk about DISRUPTIVE,"

And during The Stew Perry (sp?) ... you get the idea ...

14. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you missed the point of JS8...It is not point and click, it is a QSO, with FT8 specification. FT8 is more of a point and click you are right, but not JS8

Please note, it JS8 supports 13wpm to 20wpm, so can be slow (Like Passing the General License years ago (13WPM).

But nope, not a point and click digital mode ) / JS8

C U on the bands, NN2X

15. KC8EQF

KC8EQF Ham Member QRZ Page

tHIS IS WHAT WILL GET THE NEXT GENERATION INTO HAM RADIO.