ad: Amateuramateur-1

digital ham radio

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KC0LFA, Aug 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KC0LFA

KC0LFA Ham Member QRZ Page

A shame ham radio is not all wireless anymore. The challenge is gone. Echo link is not 100% ham radio or D star either.
  2. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator QRZ Page

So don't use either. Different strokes, for different folks.

3. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Troll, troll, troll, troll...
    Da da daaaa da da da daaaaa!
  4. W8MRL

W8MRL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Drive by trolling. ;)
  5. KM3N

KM3N Ham Member QRZ Page

License granted 8/20/2012 - I guess that 48 hours is just enough to make broad sweeping remarks - which of course are devoid of meaning.

A shame ham radio is not all wireless anymore. The challenge is gone. Echo link is not 100% ham radio or D star either.

Lemme see, I just went outside, and yup, my antennas are still there. I looked at that silly router in the shack, and it's still there too - them pesky Internet connections. JT65, PSK31, HF MAIL, DX spotting, yup, those all work too. What a shame, it ALL WORKS!

Here's a something that is challenging. Log into the ULS, you know, the same one you logged in to create your FCC account. Dig deep and you will find the link to CANCEL your license. It's free, easy, and final. No worrying about the state of amateur radio. Think of the burden lifted from your shoulders. Free, thank god, free at last.

6. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Radio Shack still sells CB Radios; maybe you picked the wrong hobby?
  7. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are wondering who gave the thread a one star rating (terrible), it was me.
  8. N3IFD

N3IFD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Fred(FRED-KC0LFA)! Welcome to Amateur Radio!

VoIP is a method of delivering Amateur Radio(amongst other services!) information via the ordinary "phone lines". Think of it as a
    "Super Phone Patch".

The challenge is still here! We're all part of it! What we are, as Hams, is still retained! Please, don't be remorseful for something that
    will be ultimately a success!

Use EchoLink, D-STAR, etc. as a "tool" to "enhance", NOT detract from the service.

I personally have been experimenting with 40 W.P.M. A1A(CW) transmissions to TECHNICIAN CLASS Hams using FLDIGI(a free,
    multi-platform program) with some success. I first started to test it with EchoLink. I'm glad it was there. If it wasn't, well, I would of
    needed to make several long-distance phone calls to accomplish the same task. That gets expensive!

I understand your post, however, I hope you can derive some assistance from all the experienced operators that are here on the
    QRZ.COM forums. Yes, they're "robust" at times, but are a "WEALTH" of information also. I have learned much since I have been

I hope this helps. Please, feel free to post(responsibly) and answer other's posts(responsibly). I enjoy doing both immensely.

See you there!

9. K3JEN

K3JEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur radio is all about experimenting. Some people take it in a quasi-wired direction with the internet, etc and other take it in other directions like WSPR and QRSS. And then there's whoever is putting those low-power beacons up in the Arizona mountains...

Don't like D-Star or Echolink? Don't use them. Use the all-radio wireless tech of your choice for hobby, orange vest or socializing. Or come up with something none of us thought of and it will become the next rage. Who knows.
  10. N4CYA

Some prefer FM Analog over digital ''private mode'' and some ham operators prefer digital over FM analog cause some FM analog repeaters sound noisy. I like digital over analog cause digital you sound more clearer like heard in NXDN and sometimes in DSTAR and yes I said DSTAR. The radios I operate on is a Motorola XPR 6550 UHF 403 - 470mhz Mototrbo handheld radio so I can use it on analog and Mototrbo when it comes around in the next month hopefully. My other radio is a Icom F4161DT 403 - 470mhz idas that will talk on Kenwoods NXDN I was introduce to this digital mode a month ago by a local ham so far I like talking on NXDN I spoke with a distant/local ham in Hudson last night with another ham operator in Atlanta the local NXDN repeater system is currently linked to some other repeaters in some states which is really cool. Like they say different operating modes for different users like IRLP, ECHOLINK, FM analog/digital and etc.

- Jamie (N4CYA)
  11. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh! Do I detect another Technician Class should have access to every band/mode/frequency thread?
  12. VR2UNA

VR2UNA Ham Member QRZ Page

Have seen a lot of similar ardent discussions or even quarrels among hams international. But I guess that depends on how you define what a ham is. Is ham

1. An enthusiast in pursuing or interested in telecommunication technology on the whole ? or
    2. An enthusiast in only RF in telecommunication ?
  13. K5FH

K5FH Ham Member QRZ Page

As that great philosopher, Bugs Bunny, would say, "Nyehhhh...could be!"

Okay, all together now:

Troll, troll, troll your post
    Loudly down the thread
    Merrily, merrily, happily, happily,
    That's life on the 'Zed.
  14. 2E0OZI

2E0OZI Ham Member QRZ Page

No, you just detect someone who may have a lot to learn. Remember you were a beginner once, astounding as that may seem!

I'll answer the OP seriously. Mate, there is plenty of non digital type ham radio going on and plenty of us enjoying it for what it is. Echolink? Why would I be interested? D-Star?? Why again, would I care? DX clusters? I'd rather listen and twiddle. My current thing is CW and I am loving working the straight key to make contacts with 25w. It's not for everybody, but one mans meat may be another mans poison. Have a go at everything you can try, its a broad church and there is a lot of room.

The "old ham radio" is still there if you want to find it; plenty of people operate barely differently from the way they did in the 1950s. And good things have come along since that time that have given new aspects to the hobby; the Trail QRP movement for one. It mostly combines CW with homemade antennas and quite a lot of kitbuilding, and of course hiking. Its all good. :cool:
  15. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

DUCK! It's a drive-by pouting!

16. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

Not so fast, Ken.

Take a look at KC0LFA on the Vanity HQ site and you will see that his renewal was granted on Monday, exactly one year and one week into his grace period. His license was originally issued on 8/13/01. While I have no idea of his activity level, he has been in the hobby at least 11 years. Seems long enough to have formed a valid opinion on certain issues.
  17. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I spend a major part of my time DXing all bands and modes VHF-160m at times I enjoy talking to a few friends in Japanand several in VK, ZL's on D-Star can't that for a ragchew and doesn't waste the HF bands with those. I wish all the nets would follow suit with digital or echolink for there use.
  18. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Uhhhmmm. D-Star is wireless. It uses one of them thar rad-did-ios to go through a re-pete-er.

HF is still Wireless. It uses one them thar rad-did-ios to comm-une-er-cate ta the world by dots and dashes, the lov-er-ly sound 'O my voice, or crazy music like stuff.

VHF and UHF is still wireless.

So, I guess the best I can say is ---- IB4TL.
  19. N8MSA

N8MSA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very good post Jeff - kudos to you!
  20. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Except for some contest periods, the HF bands aren't exactly bursting at the seams. In fact, I wish you would do your ragchewing on HF. The more we use these bands the more likely we are to keep them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.