ad: ARR

Digital DXing/Best 2018 Budget DMR HT

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KE2SJ, Jan 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KE2SJ

KE2SJ Ham Member QRZ Page

ive been licensed for 30 years but off the air for the last 10-15. I miss DXing on HF like the good old old days but even if the sun cooperated my housing circumstances wouldn’t. So I’m looking to Digital modes - particularly due to price - as a way to work some DX. I’ve already played around with EchoLink and IRLP.

What’s my best be for DX? Is it indeed DMR? I am big on simple.

And if it’s DMR, what are the best mono and dual band HTs out there in the $160 range? Anytone’s dual band? A Connect Systems? TYT? RadioOddity?

Thanks and 73,
    KE2SJ

2. W8IXI

W8IXI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I did some research and ended up with the dual band TYT MD 2017 (~$160). I like it. It is reviewed in the latest QST.

73, Mike

3. KE2SJ

Thanks, Mike. I looked agmt the 2017 and it seemed like a solid contender among the others I listed. Stilll looking for an answer about my DX question (and further recommendations for gear). All advice greatly appreciated!

73 de KE2SJ

4. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

I think I replied about the radios on eham already.

Regarding DX, are you using the term to describe contact with people in distant places, regardless of the means? Then, yes, it'll work for you.

If the DX you refer to, is like in DXCC achievements, then no, it won't work.

5. KE2SJ

Yes - thanks for the eHam post. By DXing, I definitely don’t mean being a contester; just a guy who can get a thrill like speaking to other hams in far off places via RF

Right no, the follow info a avavailable:

1. Tyt md380: $80 shippedl
    2. Tyt md390 $110 lightlty used, $130 new
    3 CS 580 lightly used: $110
    4 CS 700 used : $110
    5 RadioOddity MD 88: $75 barely lusedul
    8 new Anytone uv686 (I think, it’s the new dual band)

Hope to fry some thing that CN he used mobilligy, which may mean a hot pot. Or one of theses these rigs along with a analog FM Dual 144/70 rig for the car for
    Some power Any suggestions there?

Tnx! And 73..and all helpful!

6. AC9SF

AC9SF Ham Member QRZ Page

My TYT MD380 was DOA from Amazon so back it went. I then ordered and received the Connect Systems MD 580 and I like it a lot. Scanning mode works great and when it stops on a station, you can lock on it then save it as a new channel with the time slot, talk group save to memory. Battery life is great also.

7. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

CS580?

8. AC9SF

AC9SF Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, CS580.