DIGIPUP

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WD8OQX, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. WD8OQX

WD8OQX Ham Member QRZ Page

I am trying to change the permissions on some files & it doesn't want to take. I checked & I am ROOT. So how do I get around this "hard coded" settings? - I am "playing" with this using the included FTP server as I want to use it but more securely & with an additional drive.

2. DJ1YFK

DJ1YFK Guest

What exactly did you try, and which error message did you get?

You didn't try to change permissions of a file on a non/writeable media, like a CD-ROM? ;-)

3. WD8OQX

I'm trying to change mode, change group, add user to group & change write permissions - most of this is on the secondary HD I have installed. It usually just doesn't take. It acts as if it did but if I check the setting are the same as before. If I get an error at all it usually is syntax in nature telling me that the command or option doesn't exist.

4. DJ1YFK

DJ1YFK Guest

The filesystem on this harddisk is probably FAT32? FAT32, by design, doesn't support file permissions like most of the Unix file systems do.

It's especially tricky, since for a moment it looks like it does, and it doesn't spit out any errors. After re-mounting, the old (default) permissions are restored:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">fkurz:/share# mount | grep share
    /dev/hdb5 on /share type vfat (rw)
    fkurz:/share# touch testfile
    fkurz:/share# ls -l testfile
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 2007-07-03 00:14 testfile
    fkurz:/share# chmod a-x testfile
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2007-07-03 00:14 testfile
    fkurz:/share# cd /
    fkurz:/# umount /share/
    fkurz:/# mount /share/
    fkurz:/# cd /share/
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 0 2007-07-03 00:14 testfile[/QUOTE]

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vfat

5. WD8OQX

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vfat[/QUOTE]
    Dang, now why didn't I think of that? - I think you may have hit on it as that drive IS fat.

But I don't even remount it just acts like it is hard coded &amp; CAN'T be changed - (I'll have to try it on a &quot;linux&quot; partition &amp; see...) Another thing I can try, as the primary drive(s) are in swap kits, I'll put in my fedora 7 &amp; see if I can change permissions on that file. At least that will tell me if it is the &quot;pup&quot; or &quot;fat&quot;.

6. WD8OQX

Still think this is &quot;hard coded&quot; or I don't have the syntax correct for digipup as I can't seem to change things like ownership or addgroups or any other non-partition related type commands.

It DID seem to like the &quot;linux&quot; partitions when changing files permissions but it looks like it is because those files are part of the &quot;hard coded&quot; stuff. (PUP created the files itself)

After trying the fedora 7, I remembered I had to edit the fstab file to get the fat permissions I wanted. So what I was thinking is somewhat true. They are &quot;hard coded&quot; in a sense. - Now I just have to figure out how...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.