Differences between QRZ Logbooks V1 and V2

Discussion in 'Logbook User Forum' started by AA7BQ, Feb 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Version 2 of the QRZ logbook is up and running! As with any new program that is deployed to 1000's of people at once, there is some confusion and an occasional bug. Logbook V2 was written by me (AA7BQ) and Alex (N0AMT). The two of us are working 10-12 hours a day, 7 days a week, to do our best to make it the best QRZ Logbook ever. We've been answering a lot of questions and working on program at the same time. Today we've had over 100 support tickets and remarkably, we've at least answered them all. Not all of our answers were necessarily great, however.

This article is to discuss some of the major differences between V1 and V2, which may help in slowing down the support tickets a bit and allow us to work on the remaining bugs.

First, it is key to understand that the V1 logbook was a single entry journal of QSO's. This means that whenever a QSO was entered into one logbook, it was automatically entered into the other person's logbook because the two logbooks literally shared the same record. Each record had a Sender and a Receiver side, and both parties were represented equally. This meant, for example, that if the Sender deleted a QSO record that it would also disappear from the Receiver's side because both parties were connected to the same file.

There were a lot of drawbacks to the so-called "shared record" logs and that's why we discontinued them in V2. Now, with V2, each party gets their own, private logbook entry. This is more in line with other logging organizations like LOTW and eQSL which are similar in construction. With the V2 system, you own your logs and nothing you can do with them will affect any other user on the system.

On the V1 system, whenever a log entry was made, it appeared simultaneously in both person's logbook. You could literally log a contact and see it immediately on your Log Status on your callsign page, and, you would also see the same contact on the Receiver's callsign page. That's because the one record was shared by both parties.

On the V1 system, QSO's were confirmed when the Receiver would click on the page and agree to what the sender sent. This "one click confirmation" was fun, but it wasn't considered an acceptable standard for verification. Indeed, some people would just confirm everything that appeared in their logs without ever stopping to check if the QSO was valid or not. It was just a happy-go-lucky video game where people clicked and got gold stars, and not much thought went into it. Granted, some people took the confirmations very seriously, but clearly others did not. This had the effect of casting the validity of the QRZ logbook into question, especially when it came to contact confirmations. Some logging organizations simply dismissed QRZ logs as invalid.

The V2 system operates in a more traditional manner with respect to QSO confirmations. You log a contact in your logbook, and the other party logs a contact in their logbook. The system will then detect a match (if all the criteria are met), and will automatically confirm both QSO records (your and his). This is called "double blind" confirmation because it requires action on behalf of both parties and it requires that both parties independently report the same information. This is considered the Gold Standard in QSO confirmation.

From the description above, it should be apparent now that when you enter a QSO into your logbook on QRZ that it will not show up on the other person's callsign page if and until he decides to log the contact as well. Having unconfirmed contacts displayed on the callsign pages is considered a problem as well because it ruins the double blind integrity of the process. Instead, the V2 logbook will, at your discretion, send a Private Message (PM) to the other party that encourages him to log your recent QSO for credit. The PM does not, however, disclose the details of the QSO, i.e. time, date, band, mode, because the confirming party is supposed to supply that himself.

Another big feature in the V2 logbook is DUPE checking. V1 didn't have it. If you uploaded your logs twice to V1, everything would be doubled. V2 is adamant about DUPES and won't add them. The V1 logbooks literally have thousands of duplicates and it's a given that nearly all of those who are befuddled by "missing QSO's" after moving to V2 were subject to the DUPE filter. Fortunately, this is a one time thing and it will mean much more usability in the future. For example, with V2 you can keep your logs on your logging program at home and periodically upload them to QRZ. The QRZ server will select only those that are new, and will update those that have changed. No dupes!

There are a great many other features in V2 but I wanted to give you this heads up regarding the basic functionality, and why thing seem so different.

Finally, I'd like to thank all of you who are being patient and working with us as we work to make sure that everything works well in the new system. We're going to keep on it, you can count on that.

73 -fred

P.S. it's late and I didn't spell or grammar check this post, so please excuse any typos :)

2. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

I love V2 Fred, good work. It looks good on my Android tablet. Thanks.

3. WB4IUY

WB4IUY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here, really like the new version, Fred!

4. F5VJC

F5VJC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great work , many thanks! F5VJC

5. 2E0OZI

2E0OZI Ham Member QRZ Page

I applaud you and your colleagues work Fred and think the new log is great. I have always used QRZ log from day 1 of my ham career as I don't chase paper, just need a nice neat log.

6. K8BL

K8BL Ham Member QRZ Page

Are there instructions for the new version? I don't see any FAQ to click on as recommended in the first thread.

In the old version, I could select "unconfirmed QSOs" and that's all that would be listed. Now, it seems I have to
    go page by page to find them. That's a real tedious time-waster and I don't think I'll be doing much of that if
    it's what needs to be done. Besides, I don't know what the value is of having the Log here in the first place.
    Are there Awards being contemplated?

People send me e-mails asking me to confirm QSOs here, but I can't find them. I gave up searching page after
    page. I must be missing something.

I'm not trying to be snarky, but I'm trying to figure out why I would use this QRZ Log.

TNX/73, Bob K8BL

7. KE3FG

KE3FG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The top bar in the logbook contains the button for the FAQ:
    List Awards (Coming Soon!) FAQ

Below the box that says 'K8BL Logbook' is a search box where you can enter the callsign and click 'Search'; That will bring up the QSO of interest in your logbook.

8. N1CY

N1CY Ham Member QRZ Page

That's really NOT cool! Since a lot of DXers, who work many, many stations at one sitting, will not take the time to log each and every contact for confirmation! They will simply ignore the request and move on!!!! Before, it was easy, just a matter of clicking a box to confirm. Most of my confirmed contacts were from the old version, the new one is a PAIN and no one is taking the time to confirm, by laboring to enter the contact info all over on their side! THIS is a MAJOR FAIL, and sadly; I'm very disappointed! Sorry to say, and I know you worked hard on it, but its NOT working for me!!!!!!

9. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Draft Instruction Book at: http://files.qrz.com/static/qrz/lbv2guide.pdf

To look only at Confirmed records select filter QSO Status - Confirmed using Show Filter Options button

Awards system in the works but current priority is refining this new revision

10. K8BL

K8BL Ham Member QRZ Page

OK.... Thanks for the info.

I found the FAQ (it was staring me in the face!!!).

The lbv2guide looks very good, but it should be prominently ID'd for new users of V2.

Now.... I made a rule "QSO status matched Unconfirmed" to find the 5 unconfirmed QSOs in my Log. It's been Loading for almost 10 minutes with
    no indication that it will ever finish. Why can't it find those 5 Q's in 1072 QSOs??? I think it's broken.

I'm ready to give up.......it's STILL "loading".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.