Difference Between High $ speakers and a $99 Speaker

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KA5ROW, Dec 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How about the Yamaha CM500? Less than $60 at Amazon and it includes a mic.

N0TZU likes this.
  2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's what I have. Works well.

3. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

I obviously use headphones when working weak DX on 160m . . .

But if I'm having a good old chat on SSB with someone, it's nice to have it on the Loudspeaker.

Even more so if it's a net with several people . . . you can wander round the room doing other things while listening (or even pop into the next room).

However, I've NEVER used the small internal 'speaker in any rig. (in the old days, rigs never had built-in speakers anyway)

Roger G3YRO

K7TRF likes this.
  4. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed. The headphones are great for weak signal work or to avoid bothering other folks in the household but a decent shack speaker is nice for casually listening to nets or other times when I'm doing other stuff around the shack but want to hear the radio. The speaker is also handy when demonstrating radio operations to a friend, nephew, niece, etc.

5. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I found a pair of JBL Pro III bookshelf speakers on eBay, and use them individually of different HF rigs. I think I paid $35 for the pair.
    They continue to amaze me with their sound.

Pro III.jpg
    And they look good on the desktop, too. :)

WA8FOZ and KC8VWM like this.
  6. K4EM

K4EM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Buy a TV center channel speaker at Goodwill, I bought 4 over the last year, $6 each. Far superior audio than any expensive radio speaker. I have 2 showing on my QRZ page, these are the largest one's I own. The other are a bit smaller.

Dave
    k4em

7. KN4DQE

KN4DQE Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a pair of old rear surround speakers left from my old speaker setup that I used. They sound amazing, compared to the built in speaker!!

8. KA5ROW

KA5ROW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I really like the looks of the Icom SP-23 and SP-34 but that is a lot of money, I may do search on e-Bay for that deal that one is decent shape. But after several post I just might get a $60 set of computer speakers. That is what I have on my current computer I have had them about 10 years. I am not in any hurry as I have a Icom SP-20 that works great. If all else fails I will get a small metal box and put a multi position switch to go from one to another. I have 3 HF rigs. And a rebuilt by me a Kenwood TS-530sg.

9. KV4PD

KV4PD Ham Member QRZ Page

No, no, no. Everyone has this wrong. It's not the speakers that matter, it's the oxygenated cable that creates the magic. You absolutely have to use that type of cable. Just ask any audiophile and that is what they'll tell you. :eek:

AF4RK, KE6P, WA8FOZ and 1 other person like this.
  10. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

I use some fairly inexpensive 8 ohm book shelf speakers for both my HF and V/UHF radios in the shack. They sound fine