Did Morse Code Kill Ham Radio?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4XKE, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. W4XKE

W4XKE Ham Member QRZ Page

CW in the news:

R.B. Coulter, president of The Villages Amateur Radio Club, said he believes dropping the requirement to learn Morse code has made an amateur radio license seem more accessible to some people.

Theisen said. “I think I’m just hopeful that ham radio is around for my lifetime. I think it will eventually be gone.”

“I guess the average ham now in this country is nearing 60 years of age,” he said. “So obviously it’s an old folks’ hobby. Young people aren’t getting into it because it’s boring, or that’s what they perceive.

Complete article:
    http://www.thevillagesdailysun.com/articles/2008/01/14/news/news01.txt

2. W4CBJ

W4CBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't laugh...cause this one is true. During WW2, I built a QRP transmitter using a 955 acorn tube. It was somewhere about 2 1/2 meters. We used Lecher wires to measure the frequency.It was built on a wooden cigar box and tuned as a short-line oscillator. It was grid modulated (CW) with a doorbell buzzer. Sounded just like spark. The receiver was a super regenative using a 957 acorn tube. Help was received from Robert Mugnai W1KLW (SK) and heard about a mile away by Art Shulman W1HXK (SK) It was a mobile (bicycle). Keep this info under your hat. We were not supposed to operate ham radio during the war. I was a kid a didn't have a license. P.S. I hope the statute of limitations has expired. My brother Leonard W1LSC (SK) was not involved in this project because he was in the Signal Corps.
    73 Joe W4CBJ

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

OOOOOOOOHHH, you're gonna go straight to Amateur H*** for that! [​IMG]

OK, Confession is over. Now for your penance, say 20 CQ's and Elmer two people in the next week. [​IMG]

4. W4CBJ

W4CBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

WA9SVD. Thanks for your advice. If I tutor any student in the Morse code (if I could find any), will I recede futher into AR He.. ? Does the devil or his helpers have any CW capability ? If not, I had better think about going to the other place...if I could pass the test and they (HE) would let me in.... 73 Joe W4CBJ

5. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

In Hell, people communicate with spark gap code.

In heaven, people communicate with wide band FM.

[​IMG]

Joe

6. AC0UU

AC0UU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank God, I'm going to heaven. I'm not sure I could understand all of those 30 WPM guys down there CWing to each other. LOL Just kidding guys!!

Steve

7. K7JEM

Pre-CW, actually.

8. AB9LZ

AB9LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Complete with kerchunks and "destinated"? Thats a mighty dull heaven son, I'll take the spark anyday.

73 m/4 bzzt bzzt

9. K7JEM

You're thinking NBFM.

I picked two radio modes that hams today don't typically use. It's hard to imagine a worse sounding mode than spark gap, and it's hard to imagine a better sounding one than WBFM.

Joe

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. You'll really get a charge out of it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.