Did Morse Code Kill Ham Radio?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4XKE, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

NO ONE said that. Me thinks thou dost protest too much, and about imaginary wrongs of which you are not accused.

2. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, we have too many new hams that aren't willing to learn something before opening their mouths and all doubt is removed about their obvious lack of intelligence, That is what is fouling up ham radio.. NOT CW. Although,CW would be nice.

3. AC0UU

AC0UU Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, this is getting rediculous. Where did I say that you would not operate properly. I said I accepted newbies as long as they DO operate properly on the air.

The ONLY thing I have ever said about you is comments about your "self proclaimed" standing as a whacker. Yes, I did say I didn't like whackers. And many others here feel the same way. It is the whackers, in general, who are making every attempt to turn ham radio into just another public service band with no regard to others who operate here.

Also, I just noticed that your avatar is a CB radio. That doesn't exactly fit well into a ham radio forum does it? Especially when there is soo much anomosity here against CBers. Maybe you didn't operate improperly there either. But let's face it, your a ham, you claim to be a good ham, but you are now on a ham radio forum and using a CB radio as your avatar?

Other than those two items, I have no problem with you. And I have the right to my opinion. Don't I? If I don't, then nether to you, Jerry and a few others here who are extremely vocal about their side of arguments as well.

Steve

4. AC0UU

Thank you.  And thank the person that wanted to know why newbies (SOME NOT A MAJORITY) dis those of us who are Extras and DID pass a code test.

Steve

5. KI4NGN

KI4NGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham radio is not dying, but it's certainly changing, and Morse code has nothing to do with it.

I've cited this before, but back before I obtained my current ticket I was an SWL'er. I listened to one 40 meter SSB QSO where one ham was explaining to another how to find and use his mic gain. This was not an issue with some particular new radio, but the concept of the mic gain, what it was for, etc, etc, and it was all being explained to a General class ticket holder. My immediate thought was "Wow, ham radio sure has changed since I was last licensed (in the late 60's)." This QSO was long before the removal of the code exam.

That's the down side of the changes. The up side is all of the technological advances. Rigs are common-place now that we only dreamed about in concept when I was last licensed. Articles were written, designs made and kicked around, sometimes implemented, just to get near the kind of frequency stability that is pretty much inherent now in all modern rigs.

I think that the up side has caused the down side to some extent. Paraphrasing another QRZ poster, we used to require knowledge that was a few inches wide and a foot deep. The depth has decreased as the scope has tremendously widened as a result of advancing technology. It's not practical to maintain the same depth as the scope increases.

If there's anything harming us, it's the lack of focus within the broadening scope. The mic gain anecdote is a perfect example of information that is very relevant to operations in all but a few currently available modes of operation, and I find it disappointing that a General class ticket holder could get his license without grasping this one area.

Mike

6. KD8HMO

KD8HMO Banned QRZ Page

Well, I can understand why he wouldnt be able to grasp it. Take a look at some of the lame questions on the general test. I think I answered 4 different questions about where and what is the "control point" of my radio station. My god, how many times do i have to tell them that I know where the on/off switch is? Go read the test question pool and then tell me that passing that test qualifies someone to really operate a transceiver. If I were to put an FT-101E in front of most of the guys that took the test with me, they wouldnt have a clue as to what 95% of the controls were for or how to tune up and dip the transmitter. You would think that a general class test would cover some of the real life basics of getting on the air.

7. W4CBJ

W4CBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a bit confused. Did he mean the operator couldn't grasp the concept or the operating knob ? 73 JOe W4CBJ

8. KI4NGN

KI4NGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OK, I'll chuckle. [​IMG]

The General's mic gain needed adjusting, and he had no idea what was being suggested to him or what the other op was talking about. In other words he didn't know what "microphone gain" was.

9. W4CBJ

W4CBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What does the term "microphone gain" mean ? I'm a CW kinda guy..73 Joe W4CBJ

10. AC0UU

Good one Joe. Reminds me of the CBers I have heard who tell someone to turn up their volume because they aren't being heard loud enough. LOL. Probably why there was some confusion about the mic gain. It is confused a lot with volume control. LOL

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.