Did Morse Code Kill Ham Radio?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4XKE, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W4XKE

W4XKE Ham Member QRZ Page

This news article contends that Amateur Radio is doomed and the reason being that keeping Morse Code as a requirement for too long has sealed its fate.

http://technocrat.net/d/2007/12/30/32556

I don't know where this reporter received his information but it seems to be mostly conjecture.

Johnny

2. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Just one man's opinion like mine and yours. He hit the nail on the head in one way... the morse code test keeping hordes of folks out was bullpoop. As I said before the drop, all we did was let in the whiners and mental midgets who couldn't learn 5WPM code. Now what do we give away before we address the real issues keeping folks away?

3. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually SSB is killing it.

4. N5FOG

N5FOG Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually your all wrong, its the WIN-LINKERS that are killing it.

FOG

5. AB8XA

AB8XA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Johnny, since you appear to have done the Rip Van Winkle thing for the last year or so, about the time I've been in AR, this isn't a reporter.  It's a blog post by Bruce Perens, K6BP, founder of No-Code International, an organization dedicated to the elimination of the Morse Code requirement to get a ham radio license.  They were going to be the savior of ham radio by eliminating this huge blockade that was holding back thousands who wanted to be hams.

He's now trying to excuse the his organization's hypothesis, that Morse Code kept many out of ham radio, since with the evidence we have now, at best it's elimination as a test requirement MAY have stemmed the decline in amateur radio licenses.  So he's not taking responsibility, but blaming it on the US acting too slowly.

Bruce's evil twin is Charlie, AG4YO, who predicted elimination of the code requirement would bring in hordes of CBers who'd ruin the service.  Since that didn't happen either, Charlie began resorting to posting on QRZ anytime new hams made one of the common mistakes made by new hams over many years, and blaming it on CBers.  Charlie and his minions conveniently ignored the CB culture on 75m phone that's been there long before no-code.

The bottom line is that this is a friggin' non-issue and you're trying to resurrect a horse that was beaten to death a year ago.  Morse Code is healthier than ever.  The CW sub-bands are full of it, a significant amount of it slow code from either new hams or prior hams getting back into it.  And while yes, some of it is computer-generated, even more of it is straight key.

Once Bruce admits the fact he was right about eliminating the code requirement, but wrong about its impact, and Charlie and other OTs finally realize a government radio license isn't a merit badge or high school letter for nerds you "earn," but just a license you meet the current requirements for.... MAYBE and perhaps I'm just dreaming... MAYBE they can get together and we'll have some ambitious, smart, and experienced minds working on why amateur radio isn't as popular as it once was, and how we can address that.

Happy New Year to you and yours!

6. KI4BNC

KI4BNC Ham Member QRZ Page

Heck no!
    everybody knows:
    (REALLY! You had to have seen this coming![​IMG])

Video killed the radio!
    Video killed the radio!
    (think it might be video killed the radio star? and i cant remember who sung it but i think it was the first video to air on mtv?)

7. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard you on the wireless back in Fifty Two
    Lying awake intent at tuning in on you.
    If I was young it didn't stop you coming through.

8. AB8XA

AB8XA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You're both right.  Plus...

it's the whacker EMCOMMS that are killing it
    it's the Japanese manufacturers killing it
    it's the new know it alls that are killing it
    it's the Internet forums that are killing it
    it's the intolerant OTs that are killing it
    it's the contesters that are killing it
    it's the pro-coders that are killing it
    it's the no-coders that are killing it
    it's the DXers that are killing it
    it's the nets that are killing it
    it's MFJ junk that's killing it
    it's the ARRL that's killing it
    it's the FCC that's killing it

What's killing amateur radio is radio amateurs... those who brag to others about how diverse the hobby is yet have no tolerance for anyone who isn't in their segment of it.

9. AA0CX

AA0CX Ham Member QRZ Page

"Video Killed the Radio Star" by "The Buggles." [​IMG]

10. W6TMI

W6TMI Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the rumors of Amateur Radio's death are premature. since I can turn it on, hear and talk to other dudes/dudettes.

2 meters & 440 is even pretty active.

The Buggles, Buggles, '79

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.