Did I really just make a contact across the ocean???

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KD9BPO, Jul 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD9BPO

KD9BPO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey guys, just got my General today and started using 20 meters. I made 3 DX contacts so far and I'm pretty pumped. I just started thinking, are these guys using some type of relay or repeaters or am I making direct contact with France, Spain, and Italy? TMZHQ, EF4HQ, and iO4QH

I'm just using a 4010 EFHW from myantennas and an IC-7300

Thanks guys!!!

KG7OOM, K9ASE, N0TZU and 5 others like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Be careful... it can become addicting :rolleyes: :)

Congrats!!

However, only one of those calls are real... IO4QH and TMZHQ are not valid callsigns. I'm guessing in your excitement to post you did a typo on two of them :) I'm betting you meant to type IO4HQ, not QH :)

That's the ongoing IARU HQ special event you worked, by the way... that's why all end in HQ

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    K9ASE, KD9BPO, KB4QAA and 1 other person like this.
  3. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

thats great, not sure of the licensing there - were these on cw, it does punch through
    if your antenna can tune on 40M try there early or late , lots of dx
    Dont know if you know about dx summit but it can be helpful http://dxsummit.fi/#/
    If you can get or make a 6M antenna, I was able to work some canary island stations recently on one of the openings using a dipole made from a junk tv antenna up 55' on my tower
    even after a few decades (since 1970) , it was exciting with the first rtty qso, the first sstv , first 6M qso, first satellite contact, qrp
    Still is.
    So many paths to explore and yet to be able to discuss other interests/hobbies with folks are into similar activities

73's have fun with that 7300

KD9BPO likes this.
  4. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

So true!

BTW, the correct callsigns are TM0HQ, EF4HQ, and IO4HQ

KE0EYJ, KD9BPO and W7UUU like this.
  5. KD9BPO

Thanks David, yes you are correct it should be IO4HQ.

It is addicting!! Love everything about it!

W7UUU likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Very cool - have fun!! :)

Dave
    W7UUU

KD9BPO likes this.
  7. KD9BPO

Thanks Robert! I will have to try the 6 meter Antenna! Canary Islands, now that’s cool!!!

8. KD9BPO

Oh man, you might be right William, maybe he or she was calling TM0HQ, I probably thought it was Zulu when it was Zero, I was wondering why there wasn’t a number in the call but thought it was done specially I ternational thing. Really glad you caught that because I was disappointed that it was my first Europe DX and the call wasn’t coming back right!

9. KD9BPO

The really cool thing is I bought a KX2 and with 10 Watts and an EFHW 4010 I was hitting Georgia California and Mexico!!! And they were telling me my signal was Great!

10. KD9BPO

It was Phone Robert and thanks for the link. Looks interesting, will have to figure it all out tomorrow.