Did I just receive my own signal on FT-8?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KG4USK, Jun 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

That's rude. If it was yourself me would be very upset.:confused:

Imagine when I and myself join in.:eek:

2. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, it was with WSJT-X. I had a problem in that telling WSJT-X to stop ( Halt TX ) mid-cycle would not work, it would just keep on going, and sometimes then I would get my own signal decoded. But then I discovered that if I hit "Halt TX" then "Tune" then "Halt TX" again, in quick sequence, the program would then stop sending and no "own signal" ...

I was very glad to be able to actually stop sending, because sometimes you are sending and realize you are QRMing someone or that the person you are calling has answered someone else on another offset.

I am happy to make contacts, domestic and DX, and when the FT8 area is crowded, need to be careful I don't step on someone. I also take care to adjust power levels and select the proper antenna for the call I am making. For example, on 30 meters I work domestic stations at 10-20 watts using a vertical, but if I am calling Europe or Africa or the Middle East, I increase the power to 40-50 watts and switch to the 10-element LPDA.

Some say FT8 requires no skills, I disagree. To be good at it requires understanding all kinds of nuances ( e.g., power levels, propagation, who can hear who, who to call on frequency and who to call not on frequency ).

KP4SX likes this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here. Sometimes it (WSJT-X) glitches when you interrupt the transmission.

4. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

As long as it doesn't start an argument that ends up in a fist fight. :mad: