Diawa CN720B variable resistor replacement

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by W3KKO, May 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W3KKO

W3KKO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I picked up a Diawa CN720B meter is great condition....short of the readings are intermittent. Upon careful opening and inspection, a preset variable resistor (100K ohm, 2-pin, unknown other specs and manufacturer) legs is broken through just above where it looks to crimp/solder. I am having a devil of a time finding this resistor online, other than the random photo on a guitar amp blog. If I could find an adequate replacement resistor, I'd likely take it to a good repair guy/girl to repair. Although, I can do a bit of soldering, so maybe repair myself. Thank you in advance for any guidance you can give. 73 W3KKO

2. W3KKO

And I realized its Daiwa.......please forgive my spellin' :)

3. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

Please post a photo of the part. Sounds from your description like a fairly typical trimmer pot, but a photo would go a long way.

4. W3KKO

Trying to upload a photo

Attached Files:

5. W3KKO

The resistor with broken tab is the half hidden one on the right. 100K is stamped on it, which matches the schematic. Almost looks like they are all crimped into tabs soldered onto the board.

6. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Its a standard trimpot. Apparently they used eyelets for the thru-plated holes on the board.

7. W3KKO

Thank you Bill. I'm a bit unsure of what spec beyond 100K ohms, such as power handling, I need to purchase. Highest is best, correct? I also see mostly 3 pin versions. I believe I can connect the center pin to an outer pin and go from there. Guidance is appreciated.