ad: Amateur-1

Diamond CR-8900 toolbox

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KF7EEE, Aug 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KF7EEE

KF7EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,

I just bought a new-to-me Dodge truck and I’m planning out my radio installation. I’m planning on purchasing a Yaesu FT-8900R and mounting a CR-8900 antenna on the rear of the toolbox in the bed. I’ll get some aluminum angle to make a bracket, bolt it to the back of the box, run a ground wire from the box to the bed and the frame, etc.

Any thoughts on this antenna placement?

2. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

I did that on my first install, on an old Dakota. When you say "back", do you mean the rear most edge of the box? I initially installed the antenna on the front surface of my tool box, and the whip was too close to the truck cab to get a consistent SWR. When I moved the mount to the side, it got better. On my current install, it's on the bed itself:

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/mobile-install-2007-dodge-ram-pics.639412/

If you're going to use the tool box, make sure it has both DC and RF grounds.

3. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

From front to back, VSWR 1.2:1 VHF/1.3:1 UHF, 1.1:1, and 1.1:1. The method has never failed me. Though I see the weight and wind load issues of the 8900 make roof top mounting questionable without reinforcing the mouting area. I've used AC cover plates and other metal panels to acomplish that in various installations.

Attached Files:

4. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

Clean looking installation! :cool:

5. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

that should work just fine I've done it dozens of times over the years.