ad: ProAudio-1

Desktop Microphone recommendation

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KD2NOM, May 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Greetings,

I am looking for a desktop microphone that can be used on my Yaesu FT-450D. My criteria are:

- affordable (between $100-$150)
    - compatible (I would like one that has the modular plug for my radio, but would consider using a converter)
    - adjustable tone
    - free standing with a base / does not require a boom

I'm very interested in recommendations from folks who have or have used the microphone on an FT-450D.

Best regards,

Mark

2. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a BM-800 condenser mic. It sounds really good for only being $20. For around $40 you can get it with the the suspension boom.

There are lots of YouTube videos comparing them with much higher priced mics.

3. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow - those are really inexpensive! How did you wire it to you radio - did you buy a converter or solder it yourself?

4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have used the Yaesu MD-100 with an FT-450D, FT-891, FTDX-3000 and even an FT-817.
    Works for me and did not break the bank.

KB2WVO and KD2ACO like this.
  5. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Whoops, I missed the FT-450D portion of your question. I do own an FT-450D, (great little radio) but I haven't actually hooked it up to the FT-450D as I have a new main rig that didn't require modding.

A quick Google about converting this mic for radio use pulled up this page. Though that really depends on your comfort level in modding the device. It likely would be easier to just purchase a mic made for radio.

6. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

From what the OP has asked for, I don't think that the BM-800 would be suitable. I am not keen on the fact that he has cut the HF response -6dB at just 3kHz.
    For a radio with a limited audio equaliser (Like the 450), its the worst thing that you could do.
    Whatever you do with the FT-450, its going to have an excessively restricted audio bandwidth by design and any decent microphone is not going to fix this.
    Frank

7. KB2WVO

KB2WVO Ham Member QRZ Page

i run a md100 on my 450 also.. it works fine... tho i have never heard myself.. asked a few to record but u know how that goes.. lol

but i wouldnt over think this .. the 450D isnt one of them high end 10 slider eq radios.. its basic..
    and if u get another yaesu. it will work with it... but not the 2900 mobile.. diff plug..

lil hint... 2 wires and a old dash mounted style horn button makes great foot switch.. using the md100..

8. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The 450D can sound very good.

I recorded this op. Here's how he sounded with his 450D and MD100, as it came out of my FT950.

He ran the compression too high, but the MD100 sounded pretty darned good, otherwise:

9. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My suggestion on a desk mic? Get a headset. Seriously. Or, if you really don't want to use a headset get a mic on a boom, so you can position the mic next to your lips.

I hear guys on the air all the time with desk mics. You can't miss it; they have the gain turned up so high that you can hear the dog scratching at the back door and the TV in the next room so that they can talk into a mic three feet from their face.

It's true a Heil Proset is going to run you $200 or so, but a lot of hams use gamer headsets for a lot less. I just bought a set of Koss SB45's and gave them to my club. IIRC they were under $30 on Amazon.

KD2ACO and WA7PRC like this.
  10. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I like headsets... but I will caution that it's important to run the volume very low.

Listening to ham static can be very hard on hearing. We tend to get used to, and turn the volume up far higher that it should be, for long periods of time.

KI5AAI and WA7PRC like this.