Dentron Clipperton-L weak output on bands 160-40 meters. 20-10 OK

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by NV7JB, Sep 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure why the amp tuning and loading would not work due to ALC feedback. :confused: Unless the adjustment is way off.

I do not use ALC, You get more punch without it.

Watching drive level works for me. Best to use a scope and take notes.

Have Fun.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  2. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm wondering if your exciter has an auto tuner. It may be that the tuner is trying to adjust for the odd input impedance, which is in turn causing the high ALC voltage. I all but two of my rigs are old style "manual" tuning and I usually load them into 50 ohms before connecting them to an amp.

As for ALC, I don't use it either but I do make sure I'm not over driving the amps.

3. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It was installed in later production Clippertons. Most of them didn't have it. I think it's essentially the board out of the CM-1, which was an add-on.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Did they have relays ?

5. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you mean a CM-1, no I don't believe they had relays. It was a manual switch as I recall.

6. NV7JB

NV7JB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I may be ok since I just get a maximum of 100 watts from my old Yaesu and the clipperton L says no more than 150 watts input so it may be hard to overdrive with SSB.

7. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

The original CM-1 stand alone offering.

[​IMG]

Those installed into amplifiers were relay driven with, I believe an added or changed wafer on the band switch. There was a kit offered for retrofit in the field.

[​IMG]
    This is the board as installed into the unit I have. I know this was a "field mod" because of it's installation and failure to operate.

The reason was, the board didn't have plated through holes from one side to the other, and didn't even have the drilled holes in the pads where the input and output coax connected.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 12:35 PM
    KA9JLM likes this.