ad: elecraft

"Dentron" 572Bs?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KU7I, Dec 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KU7I

KU7I Ham Member QRZ Page

Who made the "Dentron" labeled 572Bs they used in the Dentron amps in the late 70s and early 80s? Blue lettering with "Dentron Made in the USA" stamped on their 572Bs. I thought these were made by Cetron?

Lane
    Ku7u

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They were made by Cetron.

Almost any manufacturer, including those making vacuum tubes, will print your company name on their products (instead of their own) under an OEM agreement.

The RCA tubes in my 75A-4 are labeled "Collins." Collins never manufactured any tubes.:)

The Chinese companies making 811As and 572Bs today label them many different ways for OEMs and resellers, including RF Parts. They all come from the same place, under private label agreements.

3. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, that's why it makes me laugh that people will pay far more for some of the US branded valves, all made in the same Chinese factory !

When I had my FL2000B, I bought 572Bs direct from China . . . at about one third of the cost !

Roger G3YRO

WD8T and K1JFJ like this.
  4. WB2WIK

How much did they cost, directly from China?

5. K2JPV

K2JPV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I ordered 4 572b tubes from DX Engineering, paid 82$ a tube and only 2 of the 4 worked ! Here I go returning them , will have to wait and see if replacements will work . This is the world today, I still would be pissed if I paid $20 a tube, p. S. These replace 1970 s Cetrons which still run 500 watts a quad in the Clipperton.
    We are slaves to the Chinese.

6. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

About 2 years ago, I gave my Cetrons to a Japanese ham who needed them for a Kenwood amp and bought a pair of Taylor 572s from RF parts to try out the Chinese tubes. They work as well as the Cetrons (can’t tell the difference installed) but it will take 30 years to tell if they last as long.

They seem fine.

7. WB2WIK

Why DX Engineering? I don't think they have facilities to test the tubes.

RF Parts does, and provides a test report.

8. K2JPV

K2JPV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Rf parts charged me, and then took a week to tell me they had no tubes in stock, And didn’t know when they would get them in! And were wondering if I wanted my money back, haha or wait until who knows when. I swear a quote ! Lol
    After all this, I’m wondering if I should not stick my hands into these two old clunker amps? The Gods sending me a message to go to OM amps or Acom .

9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/572b-160l-us
    Tube Depot has NOS 572B's in stock.

https://www.thetubestore.com/shuguang-572b
    Tube Store has Chinese 572B's in stock.

had very good service from both companies.

https://vacuumtubesinc.com/index.php/572b-ch.html
    Has Chinese in stock.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  10. WB2WIK

Be careful with some of those.

They actually are different from the "RF Parts" 572Bs. Look carefully at internal construction, the base seal cup, pins, and whether it's stated they can be operated horizontally. The current RFP 572Bs look just like Cetrons, have a white base seal cup, gold plated pins, different internal construction from that shown on the other websites (although one has no picture at all) and a guarantee of operation both vertically and horizontally.

Ameritron has them as their P/N 380-0572B at $79.95/ea and they're good ones.