"Dented" 6146

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KD8WU, Dec 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Definitely been abused. I have seen examples where the glass has been sucked in all the way to the plate and then a hole burned into the glass on the 6146.

Keep it around if you want, but I definitely recommend not operating the unit with that tube. Also, agree that both final amplifier tubes should be replaced because there is a very good chance that both have been badly abused.

Glen, K9STH

N3AB, WQ4G and N8AFT like this.
  2. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I heartily agree. The guy who owned mine before I acquired it must have liked RTTY and didn't stick to the recommended power output. Most of the parts under the final board were cooked also. Once all of that was straightened out, the radio ran perfectly for several years until its retirement with the shack update.

Very nice radio for sure! I'm keeping it for when I move out of the city and away from the noise. It is more pleasing audio wise TX and RX then the SDR I have now.

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The fact the tube still works really is testimony to the amazing durability of the 6146 family of tubes.

Dave
    W7UUU

N3AB likes this.
  4. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Seen a lot of this with radios that were capable of being modified for use on the CB frequencies. Apparently, those operators don't bother to read the part in the owner's manual about reducing AM carrier power.

I ran one of my TS-820S on RTTY for many years. Still have the original final tubes in it but the rig would go through drivers - even though max output was kept around 25w.

5. WW7F

WW7F Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL I knew a ham in the 1960s who got a Galaxy 2000+ amplifier, they used 10 6HF5s , sweep tubes in parallel to get legal limit output. Drove those tubes pretty hard as it was, but he was a repair tech and got a case of tubes for spares, saved a bundle on them. I was visiting one afternoon and listening to him work DX, helping log, the amp popped a tube and it was a little startling eh? :) but the amp was quite compact and without adequate cooling "suck in" was more common than not. https://www.eham.net/reviews/view-product?id=1537 in case anyone wonders WTH that gear is I spoke about 73 everybody :)

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd forgotten that Galaxy was part of WRL....or vice versa. Very nice review of the amp in 1966 QST

7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Also had a very unique and clever automatic linearity adjuster....wonder why that never caught on with other amps.

8. KD8WU

KD8WU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks guys. Good advice and interesting comments.

Tune for max Ip?! I have heard of people tuning for maximum power output. We all know that max power and minimum plate current don't always coincide, but MAXIMUM plate current? WOW!!! (singing "No stems, no seeds, that you don't need..."

And now I know to just a thumbnail.

Thanks again,
    Bob - KD8WU

9. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

PITCH IT...
    tubes are cheap, repair work is expensive.

10. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Build another final using it and use it to work dimple tube DXCC.

KD8WU likes this.