ad: CQMM-1

Dennis, AA0A, stL, MO

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by KA0SOH, Feb 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KA0SOH

KA0SOH Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, Dennis has been gone just over one week now and already I must say I miss him. He was a remarkably accomplished guy. I'm happy to say he was a friend of mine. Donn, KA0 SOH.

2. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Dennis J. Mc Carthy, AA0A SK

QCWA Number: 29376

McCarthy, Dennis J.

Loving husband, father of 10 children, grandfather, great-grandfather, son, brother, and friend departed this world surrounded by family on Monday, February 5, 2018 at age 83. Survived by his dear wife, Mary Ann of 59 years, children Maureen (Brenda), Patrick (Rachelle), Leo (Nancy), Richard (Vicki), John (Josie), Michael (Sarah), James (Andi), Bridget (Bill) Fahy, Thomas (Mellissa), and Daniel; 19 grandchildren; 5 great-grandchildren; sisters Sue (Tom) Molitor, and Sally Bryant.

Of the many accomplishments in his life, Dennis was most proud of his ten children, instilling in them the values of hard work, determination and love. He taught his children the value of education and was proud that all ten children earned a college degree, and several continued their education with advanced degrees. An accomplished journalist, Dennis wrote for the Globe Democrat for over 25 years, an investigative reporter for Channel 2 news, and a reporter for Channel 4 news. He was the face of investigative journalism in St. Louis for many years and was recognized with three Emmy Awards for journalistic excellence, as well as The Gabriel Award for excellence in network and radio journalism. He interviewed three U.S. Presidents, The Beatles and countless celebrities. Dennis also worked in marketing and communications for the Sacred Heart program. Dennis was an Adjunct Professor of Journalism at St. Louis University and most recently co-authored a book entitled Southampton St. Louis; An Unconventional History about the history of South St. Louis.

He was born and raised in South St. Louis and, along with his wife Mary Ann, raised ten children in South St. Louis. He was an accomplished Ham radio operator with his extra class license. Many visitors to the McCarthy home were given a “tour of the ham shack” where Dennis would try to convince them to become a ham radio operator. He loved to talk to other ham radio operators around the world and attend various “hamfests” (a swap meet for ham radio operators). He was an avid outdoorsman who loved hunting and fishing. He spent many days in a deer stand or in a john boat fishing. His children have fond memories and many great photos of fishing with their dad and holding a stringer of fish.

Dennis loved musicals and singing. It was not uncommon to go to a Friday night fish fry and see Dennis singing and entertaining the crowd. He had a wonderful voice that he gladly shared with anyone who would listen. Dennis also had a real sense of humor. You couldn’t talk with Dennis without hearing him throw a pun or crack a joke. Often his listeners would roll their eyes or groan, but he always made them laugh. He was an encyclopedia of knowledge on so many subjects.

Services: Visitation at Kutis Afton Chapel, 10151 Gravois, Friday, February 9, 4:00 pm.-7:00 pm., Funeral Mass, Saturday, February 10, 10:00 am., St. Mary Magdalen Church, 4924 Bancroft Ave in South St. Louis City. Memorials to Alcoholics Anonymous. Dennis celebrated over 30 years of sobriety. Checks should be written to Mary Ann McCarthy.
    http://www.kutisfuneralhomes.com/9339

3. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

I remember Dennis at Field Day and during many SLARC events...sorry to hear about it in QST....numbers are dwindling and catching up to some of us....rest your key Dennis...