Dell T5500

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AA7QQ, Nov 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

It really is a turd wrapped in foil and labeled candy. Dig a layer or two deeper beyond the hipster flat UI design and there it is, same old same old Windows.

As far as the computer, my problem with these Xeon processors is that I'm trying to get my computers more power efficient. I don't disagree that is a pretty nice kit, but two of those running has to be approaching 150W. I've been eyeing an Ryzen 1700x with 8 cores 16 threads, but even those are pretty power hungry.

2. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Each processor is 85W at max, if I remember correct.
    I was not looking for efficiency, but a decent platform to start with & build from there.
    To save some power, the 10 series of video cards are what is used at work, as they are not very power hungry.
    I just got a couple $20 dual out/1 gig video cards, till I figure that part out. I just wish the motherboard was a full sized, for more PCI-E slots.
    I have been learning more linux in the past couple years & when WIN7 comes to EOL, there is no way that I will use another WIN product.

Ed

3. W9FTV

W9FTV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've got one of these at work, fully loaded and running RHEL 6.8. It makes one hell of a dev box :)

AA7QQ likes this.
  4. W9FTV

It's a re-purposed CAD system, so it has an obscenely high end NVidia video card that's currently useless to me. I'd love to load CUDA and other doodads on it and have some fun, but that's not in the cards due to policy.

5. W9FTV

Just an off the wall thought, but consider all those little power hungry computing devices powered by wall warts & other computers around the house. Add up the power consumption, how close does it come to a beast that could do almost all that processing? I haven't done the math, but I am very curious if someone has.

6. KV6O

KV6O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

7. W9FTV

8. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

9. W9FTV

I rarely beat on the one I have at the office, but when I do; it's nice to know I can.

I may have to replace my home desktop with one of these beasties.

10. KV6O

KV6O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I still don't stress my i7 based machine at home, so no need to upgrade for the home machine; HOWEVER, I run a couple of ESXi servers at work that have serious horsepower , and cost serious bucks (HP DL380 G9). If this could run ESXi, might make a nice test bed for the office or home lab!