Debian 10 'Buster' Linux + Kenwood D710 Installation Issue

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KD0KZE, Aug 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

Over the weekend I did a fresh install of Debian 10 'Buster' on my PC dedicated for my Kenwood TM-V71A + RC-D710, YAAC and QSSTV. I encountered some minor issues, but also a complete stumper. When the installation finished and I rebooted for the first time, some assistive technologies had gotten installed. In particular, brailletty was running, and all screen text and cursor information was being read aloud by a synthesized voice.

I initially thought about turning off and/or removing the likely services, but I didn't know what else might have gotten installed -- that step in the Debian 10 installation process was automated, with no user intervention. The last thing I want on a PC that does any sort of sound analysis is audio coming from unknown sources. It was the third PC I've installed Debian 10 on, and I hadn't seen this before.

After wasting 2-3 hours, pulling out some hair, etc. I decided to unplug the cables going into my rig and try installing from scratch again. One cable uses the serial port, the other is USB (with a USB->rig adapter). One goes to the D710 control head, the other to the TM-V71A base unit, to control PTT for QSSTV.

I don't know which (or both) cable caused it, but Debian clearly mistook the rig as a Braille reader device, and automatically installed extra things.

Once my final + successful installation was complete, and rebooted, I plugged my rig cables back in -- and was good to go. I don't know if this behavior is the same for the regular D710's, but I'll leave all of my rigs unplugged (and/or at least completely powered off) when doing fresh installs from now on.

73, KD0KZE / Paul

W4EAE likes this.
  2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

file a bug report with Debian

good catch, and congrats on the work around

KD0KZE likes this.
  3. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Doing a fresh install with minimal devices attached is always a good idea. I might be taking it to the extreme, but I always install minimal server; even on a desktop. I can then choose my X server and make sure that my system is running as lean as possible for my particular uses.

4. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

On the other hand, for some devices it's nice to let the installation process (when it determines which drivers to include) be aware of those. Otherwise you may need to do some manual work later on.

Yesterday I upgraded my main shack PC to Debian 10. This chewed up most of the day, since I compile WSJT-X, fldigi, flrig, and TQSL from source. As well as running several other apps (XLog, Stellarium, GPredict, etc.), MariaDB, and some software stacks. I encountered no real stumpers this time. I left my Kenwood TS-590 plugged in (USB), but completely powered off, and had no issues with the installation. I use the MATE desktop.

At any rate, it's great to be current for a couple years again. I remain extremely grateful to the free & open source software community for creating such remarkable stuff. Things are getting highly polished and documented over time.

73, KD0KZE / Paul