Deaf Paccomm Tiny-2 TNC

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KJ6HZH, Apr 14, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ6HZH

KJ6HZH Ham Member QRZ Page

How would one go about determining what's wrong in a Paccomm Tiny-2 TNC that's making it deaf? With the assistance of VE7GDH this morning, I was able to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing to do packet stuff. I have two TNCs, a Tiny-2 and an MFJ-1276, both second-hand. Prior to this help, I was able to pick up occasional ARPS packets from the MFJ, but not the Tiny-2 and I didn't know what the problem was. With VE7GDH's help, I could connect to the VE7SPR node on Salt Spring Island, just west of me, using the MFJ. When I tried with the Tiny-2, the node would note my attempt to connect, but the Tiny-2 didn't notice.

So, I have a deaf Tiny-2. I figured that first a recapping would be in order, just because. What else should I look at?

2. VE1IC

VE1IC Ham Member QRZ Page

what version is your board? Did you verify the obvious, like the cable being properly wired, jumpers set correctly for emphasis or de-emphasis. Depending on version, you have to jumper the terminal and the radio correctly on the Tiny2 (front of the pcb where the LED's are). What is your setup?
    The TCM3105 IC does the modulation and the demodulation on this TNC you could swap it out from a working one. Look at the manual and do the "Loopback Testing".

3. KJ6HZH

Board version is 1.7 (a Mk2). The cable is known good. It works with an MFJ-1276. I have the speed jumpers set for 9600 facing the computer and 1200 facing the radio.

Digital loopback appears to be successful. Analog loopback failed (stuck a paperclip between pins 1 and 4 of the radio jack).

The DCD LED is constantly rapidly flickering as to look dimly lit.

I don't know what is proper for emphasis/deemphasis.

I don't have a spare TMC3105.

The manual scan I found is 4th edition 5th printing dated October 1991.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  4. KJ6HZH

I beeped out the route from pin 4 on the radio jack (from radio) to pin 4 of the TMC3105. I went through R20, C7, and into pin 4 on the TMC-3105. R20 looks good. I don't have an ESR meter to check C7.

5. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

The Version 1.7 was the latest (last revision, as I remember).
    Changing Capacitors — “Just because?” — NOPE, not smart.

Let’s focus on “most common” and “Easy”

1.) CHECK DC Rails. In other words that you have GOOD +5 VDC.
    Gywn used Tantalum on earlier boards, but then switched back to Electrolytics.
    IF you have ripple (use scope) on +5 VDC after on board regulator (7805), then regulator and/or the 2 capacitors may have issue.

2.) RS-232 output to computer is provided by Maxium 232 level converter.
    The non-ESD versions of MAX232 ICs are subject to destruction from rough handling (earlier owners, bad bench skills), static electricity, ESD events. This will appear if you can not get terminal output to computer from TNC, OR it does not respond to computer commands.

3.) There are CMOS components within the TNC ....
    non-ESD bench work can damage without tech’s knowledge.

6. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Photo of Pacomm TNC-2 board, Version 1.7
    B9AB2DCF-65B1-477C-B350-4B645B444699.jpeg

7. KJ6HZH

I found this mention of a factory mod from PacComm in several places. This one is most accessible:
    http://vectorbd.com/bfd/packet/tnc.fix. I'll try this once I get some chip sockets and 222 transistors.

Here is the "Factory" fix for Pac-Comm Tiny-2's & Micro-Power 2's that have become hard of hearing. It seems that Pac-Comm has some boards out that work fine when new, but with age the tnc requires a huge amount of Audio input from the speaker jack or it won't decode properly. They are lost as to what is deterioating in the boards but offer this fix to its customers. It is quite simple and very neat, all parts are mounted on the under-side of a 16 pin IC socket, the Modem chip TCM3105 (U16) is removed, the modified socket is inserted into existing socket on TNC's board, and the modem chip is re-installed.

Parts Needed:
    1 - 16 pin IC socket
    1 - 2222 Transistor NPN (EGC 123AP)
    2 - 10000 ohm 5% resistors (brown-black-orange-gold)

Instructions:
    Solder 1 resistor to Emitter, other end of resistor to pin 12
    Solder 1 resistor to Base, other end to pin 2
    Solder collector to pin 5

8. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Your referenced “factory fix” was for the original Tiny-2 boards (TAPR TNC-2 clone)
    from WA2ISE on March 1989, via the legacy BBS “packet” topic forum.

At that time, Gywn was still on the Tiny-2 ... PC board, version 1.1

You posted a photo and stated you have the Paccomm version 1.7 board —
    that was Gwyn’s last version used in the Tiny-2 Mark II.