ad: HamHats-1

Dayton Hamvention 2013 Free Services

Discussion in 'Hamfest and Convention Calendar' started by W9FIZ, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W9FIZ

W9FIZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunately I will be unable to perform any service at the upcoming Dayton Hamvention that involves testing
    electronic gear of any kind.I have recently been advised by a fellow ham who happens to be an attorney that since I am not licensed, bonded, or insured that I would be putting myself at great risk of liability exposure. He also mentioned that I could also be in violation of Ohio State law.
    Having said that I will not be offering any services at FW3976 or FW3977 that involves testing electronic gear
    in any way, shape, or form. I will still maintain a free advertising board (forsale or looking to buy) and free
    paging on 2 meters on 147.525 mhz.
    This has dealt me a serious emotional blow as I was so looking forward to doing all these things.
    I do hope everyone understands my dilemma.
    If you come to the Dayton Hamvention please stop by and say Hi.
    I sincerely apologize to all that were counting on these services.

73 Barry Gose W9FIZ

2. W9FIZ

Incidentally - in view of not being able to provide the testing services - I have decided NOT to accept any donations
    of any kind for the ad board or the paging. Its all on me.

Barry W9FIZ

3. KT7DAD

KT7DAD Ham Member QRZ Page

We need a law against attorneys....

4. W9FIZ

I am actually grateful that this fellow ham/attorney stepped forward with his advice. (although disappointing news) I am grateful as the wife
    are not rich but we have saved for our retirement. The counselor ham mentioned that if I didnt have a pot to p-- in or if Icouldnt rub two nickels together
    then I had absolutely nothing to worry about.(as they say you can't get blood out of a turnip) "but" if you have accumulated any wealth at all he says you could find yourself in big trouble if something/anything were to go wrong.
    That attorney-Ham was looking out for my best interest, and for that I am truly grateful. I asked the Dayton Hamvention if somehow I could be covered under their insurance for the Hamvention and I was told absolutely no way. They tell me it would be too cost prohibitive. Sorry everyone, it was a good thought but I regret I did not look at all the angles before I started this effort. And as far as being stupid the only stupidity would be to proceed with this project after being given this valuable advice. for those of you who are so overly concerned over this or think I am wrong for dropping the project, I say it is easy to judge and critique, I say - those who are so concerned should come forward and accept the risk and rent a booth spot and offer these services. Basically put your money where your mouth is. Talk is cheap. Sweat is dear. I have been overwhelmed by these Jethro Bodine arm chair lawyers who shower me with their side road bush league lawyer advice telling me how I can get around the law and come through the back door and still offer the testing service. They are literally coming out of the woodwork.
    again I apologize to those of you who were looking forward to these services.

73 Barry W9FIZ

5. AA5KT

AA5KT Ham Member QRZ Page

My son is a attorney and said you can sue the attorney that gave you that wrong FREE advice and he is willing to take the case ;)

6. W9FIZ

dont blame the attorneys

I have spoken with 2 attorneys and a paralegal and they all confirm I would be exposing myself to considerable liability sir.
    so it all boils down to who do you want to listen to. Again I say to all my detractors, including you sir, if you are so concerned about this issue and if you are so sure that your son's advice is correct, then I urge you to load your vehicle with test equipment and head to Dayton and perform these services and you take that risk yourself. Talk is cheap and sweat is dear. I only have your word that your son is an attorney and I have no idea how good he is. One of the attorneys I spoke with who is not a ham and he is very well known here in central Indiana and he confirms what the other two gentlemen told me. Again sir talk is cheap, I suggest you take you and your half baked advice and go to Dayton and provide these services. Please dont bring the issue to me or question or find fault with my decision. And people should not be blaming the attorneys for this issue. If the world was not so full of greedy litigious people the attorneys would not even have a job. Unfortunately we live in an age of sue happy people that are continuously looking for deep pockets we would never need attorneys or liability insurance. If your son is so correct then why wont the Dayton Hamvention Management include my services under their liability policy? Why? TOO MUCH LIABILITY EXPOSURE - that's exactly what they told me when I asked. That right there speaks volumes to me. So, I choose not to take the risk. It is not worth it. I want you to know also sir that I have been a licensed radio amateur since October 1970 and I have observed over the years that all the Flack, misery, and malevolence has always come from the ARRL people holding ARRL positions who somehow think this empowers them and they can ride rough shod over other amateurs. I notice you are an ARRL LIFE member and I want you to know I have had it with the ARRL and when my membership expires I QRT the ARRL forever and a day because of know it all ARRL people like you who have a nose problem. That is where the grief has always come from and probably always will. Sad but true.

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  7. W9FIZ

To AA5KT aka Mr. Knowitall. Oh Yeah? On what grounds would your son sue the attorneys who gave me this advice?
    That right there tells me you are so totally full of BULL ****
    I know a little about the law and a lawyer once told me to sue someone and win you have to be able to show a loss or where you have been damaged. I dont see those factors here. Like the old saying goes -" Tis best keep silent and be thought of as a fool, then to open thy mouth and remove all doubt?

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  8. AA5KT

AA5KT Ham Member QRZ Page

Easy,, my post was made in fun or I thought it was ;) I am very sorry that you took it the wrong way and you know what I am also sorry that you have a problem with the ARRL maybe you should sue me for being a Lifetime Member( I may deserve it) have a good day and enjoy Dayton..

9. KD8PFB

KD8PFB Ham Member QRZ Page

What a shame we live in such a litigious time. Some of these lawyers should have joined the plumbers union instead of trying to screw everyone for any and evert thing someone says or does. Too bad a valuable service will not be available because of the possibility of being taken to the cleaners by some unscrupulous ambulance chaser who finished at the bottom of his class. You got good advice, but its still a shame we have people like this.

10. W9FIZ

Remember one thing- you dont blame the car for the accident and you dont blame the gun for the murder
    so dont blame the lawyer for the lawsuit. If people were not so sue crazy - Lawyers would be out of work.
    I was told by a Ham who is an octagenarian that if I performed these services back in the 50's -60's - or even the 70's
    there would not have been a problem. Its a whole different world now.

11. W9FIZ

You Sir have no idea how much heat I have taken over this project. If your post was intended to be humorous, Im sorry
    if I missed it. It appeared to me you were nit-picking. This whole thing has been a nightmare. I probably should not
    respond to these emails and or post. I meant well, I reached out to the Hamvention to see if they could put me under their insurance umbrella but they would not even consider it. AA5KT - I accept your apology- I did not realize you were joking.
    I thought you were being cynical. No harm done. - believe me though- there is wisdom in my words - In my 43 years as a ham radio operator the grief and misery has always come from someone who is elected or appointed to one of the ARRL positions and they think it gives them Carte Blanche over the rest of us and they misuse their perceived authority. that is an an inconvenient truth. Being a life member doesn't necessarily define you as such but when I saw you life membership status I thought Oh No here we go again... 73 and thanks for the explanation

12. W9FIZ

AA5KT - I don't have a problem with the ARRL per se ... I have a problem with certain people who get elected or chosen
    to these various ARRL positions and they let it go to their head. These people are ruining the hobby for others.
    For example.. we had an OO once (official observer) who absolutely ran amok, he was going to the homes of amateurs accusing them of malicious interference and TVI and interrogating them and following them, taking pictures of them and their vehicles, it was almost to the point of stalking. This is just one of many examples.

13. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OK I'm curious....

What exactly are the services?

What would be the basis of a lawsuit?

14. W9FIZ

No further comment

Jim- I would really like to end this discussing and this thread. I am no longer responding to anymore comments
    about this topic.
    thank you for your interest, but I am through discussing it

thank you

Barry W9FIZ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.