D-STAR repeater / reflector questions

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KN4DQE, Nov 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KN4DQE

KN4DQE Ham Member QRZ Page

So I am just starting to play with the D-STAR features in my TH-D74A radio, and had a few questions:

1. If I connect directly to a local D-STAR repeater, it will transmit locally. Are D-STAR repeaters also linked to other D-STAR repeaters (or can they have that functionality)?
    2. For reflectors (which I just discovered), if I "link" to a reflector via a local repeater, is that repeater now linked for everyone that wants to talk / use the repeater? Will it only allow communication to the reflector for everyone until I un-link the reflector?
    3. If the reflector is only linked for me, and everyone else can use the repeater as is, do only I hear the transmissions on that linked reflector?

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

1. You use your radio to link the local D-Star repeater to a Reflector of your choice (just make sure somebody else doesn't have it linked to and is using another Reflector by using the "INFO" command).

2. Yes.

3. See above.

If you want to spend a lot of time on a reflector, particularly one that's not one of the popular ones (i.e. 30C or 1C), you're better off with a hotspot. That way, you can use your reflector of choice without worrying about "hogging" the D-Star repeater. ;)

3. KN4DQE

KN4DQE Ham Member QRZ Page

Perfect that's exactly what I wanted to know! Thanks!

4. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5. W4NNF

There're several good D-Star websites. Here are a couple to get you started.

http://dstarinfo.com/
    http://www.roblocher.com/whitepapers/dstar.html

KA2CZU likes this.
  6. W4NNF

Let me add that any user of the repeater can link the repeater to a different repeater, etc. But you don't want to do that if someone is using it, of course. :)

7. W4NNF

As above in addition to linking the D-Star repeater to a Reflector, you can also link it to another D-Star repeater and the users of your repeater will then be able to talk over that repeater. So there are three things you can do with a D-Star repeater:

Talk locally over the repeater just like it's a plain, old analog repeater.
    Talk over the Reflector (server) of your choice.
    Talk over a distant repeater.

:)

KA2CZU likes this.
  8. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The more popular reflectors will usually have lots of repeaters connected to them. Here in MN, we have reflector 53A, and most of our repeaters are nominally connected there. You can disconnect and then link your local repeater to something different. At least on our local repeater, after a period of inactivity, it automatically goes back to 53A.