D-STAR dongle for Mac

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by 2E0LBX, Feb 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. 2E0LBX

2E0LBX Ham Member QRZ Page

I would welcome suggestions form anyone who has got a dongle working for D-STAR etc on Mac OS X.
    I am looking at the various options but have found not every piece of hardware claims a Mac version of its software.

I do have a trial version of Windows 10 running in a virtual machine with Virtual Box if needs require.

Thanks

Alistair 2E0LBX

2. 2E0LBX

So far I have listed the following dongles:

Helitron DV4mini
    Internet Labs DV-ACCESS-2
    Internet Labs DV-ACCESS-70
    Internet Labs DV-DONGLE
    NW Digital ThumbDV
    DV-MEGA Dual Band DSTAR shield

Apparently the ones by Internet Labs have Mac software available, but these are also the most expensive options!

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would recommend a Pi3 and roll your own using Linux before using Win 10.

Have Fun.

AD5KO likes this.
  4. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

5. 2E0LBX

Thanks, that covers one of the Internet Labs options, which is advertised as having a Mac version of its software.

I just had an medial form the developers of the DV-MEGA Dual Band DSTAR shield, it states no support for Mac OS X, but no mention of running the software under WINE or via a Virtual Machine.

6. 2E0LBX

7. 2E0LBX

Ok, I just heard that the software for the DV-MEGA will "work through windows virtual machine!" That's encouraging

AD5KO likes this.
  8. 2E0LBX

I just discover this software, Buster. See https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/buster/id1060175273?ls=1&mt=12
    Apparently it works with the NW Digital ThumbDV, which is D-STAR only but at the lower end of the range money-wise.

However it appears that this particular dongle by-passes the need for a D-STAR-equipped radio, the computer itself becomes the radio, (and the ID-51 stays in the box).

KA9JLM likes this.
  9. 2E0LBX

OK gang, here is the latest news in the quest to run a Mac-friendly dongle for D-STAR and other digital modes. I have discovered the SharkRF Openspot, see
    https://www.sharkrf.com/products/openspot/

It supports D-STAR, DMR, and C4FM Fusion, and doesn't require client software—rather you use a web interface, a bit like tweaking your router settings.
    In the UK it retails for £210 or you can buy it from the manufacturer (in Estonia) for 219Euros. Definitely one to check out. I think this could be the one for me. There is a detailed review in April's Practical Wireless. (UK amateur radio magazine).

AD5KO likes this.