ad: dxeng

CW/Morse Code Chart in PDF

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by W4INF, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
  1. W4INF

W4INF Ham Member QRZ Page

I still have to look at this from time to time. It is different because it uses a true Morse Code TTF to create it so you do not have dashes and periods like in most charts!

I hope someone finds it helpful, best 73s-
  2. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats a nice chart BUT CW is for the ears, not the eyes. You'll just slow yourself down if you try to visualize the letters instead of trying to hear the words.

3. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

They look like dots and dashes to me.:confused:
  4. W4INF

BVN, how right you are... but in the mist of a mind fart, the chart is a good rescue tool. I have mine hanging on the wall in front of me, dont use it all the time, but I do reference it. I am apt to mind farts. :cool:

LAZ, gud 4 u, your 20/20 is working! HA HA!

5. KB3LAZ

Well I was just being honest. Code sound much better than it looks.
    If I tried to learn off a chart I would have gotten nowhere. But seriously did I miss something?
  6. W4INF

YDK, exactly right! Too fast that you cannot count the dots and dashes, but not so fast you can recognize the pattern/rhythm/sound of the character being sent! The spacing is what we now call Farnsworth. The "technique" is ideal for learning code!

The chart I posted is a good reference, I use it not for decoding as much as I do for sending, sometimes I forget a letter. I am still learning, guess I always will be! HA HA!

7. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting chart. Though it seems the CW part is like the fine print on what is basically an advertisement.
  8. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Look up charts might work.

I think if someone is having extreme difficulty learning code, a look up chart might be a nice, temporary, learning crutch, provided the coded symbols are presented in order of complexity, not alphabetical order.

E T I M A N S U R W D K G O...etc.

The idea would be to make the student hear the pattern, then look up the familiar meaning, until the symbol was learned. Of course, it's still a stimulus response process, so after you look them up, you still have to write them down.
    Last edited: May 2, 2008
  9. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

No it's not. It's just a crutch to hang on to and encourage a bad habit.

If you learn morse the proper way - by sound - you will not have that many brain farts.

I burned all of my morse charts years ago. Very glad I did. I just listen to morse now, rather than looking at it. I've gotten a lot better as a result.
  10. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

The chart may be good for a few days but listening to the dah and dit sounds is the way to learn.
  11. NE3R

NE3R Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was learning, I kept a chart on the desk. It was a bit of a crutch, but a helpful one at the time. A bigger and more dangerous crutch is the microphone. I should burn them all and return to CW!

73 de Joseph Durnal NE3R
  12. KB2QU

KB2QU Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree you have to listen to it to learn it. That's the only thing that worked for me.
  13. KI4ODO

KI4ODO Ham Member QRZ Page

My suggestion is to eliminate ANYTHING VISUAL from the equasion. It only adds another thought process that will hinder your progress. I have told guys in my local club who are studying CW the same thing. You want to start hearing letters, then to start hearing words. Not dahs and dits. CW is all sound. Make sure you don't hinder yourself.

Best of luck to you and I am so glad to hear your interest in CW. As for me, I am a NCG myself. I may have one SSB contact in an entire page of logs. I use CW about 99 percent of the time on HF and love it.

You are going to have a blast with it. I would suggest the book "The art and skill of radio telegraphy". You can download it on line and is a wonderful source.
    Last edited: May 2, 2008
  14. W4INF

All this advice is good! TU for the information and feedback. But, the chart still has it's place. HOW you use it, is up to you. I simply provided a "pretty" one if you did want one. :cool:

15. K4AX

K4AX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What exactly do you mean the by the chart "does not have dots or dashes"?

I have been studying code recently... keep that thing away from me! :D
  16. KB1KIX

KB1KIX Ham Member QRZ Page

The chart came in handy when I needed it.

I don't see it as dot-dash. I naturally think dit-dah.

The worse thing for me is in the middle of a QSO, if I lose you sending somewhere.... I'm wicked lost!

Usually only happens when I'm trying to copy someone sending faster than I can receive.

Funny thing.... I think learning to type was easier - and I type 98 WPM.

I enjoy the rhythm of the code. It's a learning process. I also have CW ringtones for my friends on my phone (especially my female friends, prevents my girlfriend from yellin'!).

17. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you forget a letter in the middle of a QSO, a chart is not going to help you.

What does help you is the ability to just DROP that letter and MOVE on.

It's also useful if you have words in context.

For example:

Anyone could easily fill in the missing letters, and a good CW op can just leave out letters when his brain decides to take a fart.

In such a case when actually copying a chart is useless. You learn morse by sound, not sight. It's like learning a language. You certainly don't carry around a copy of the alphabet and pronunciation, so why do it with the morse alphabet?
    Last edited: May 3, 2008
  18. WA9CWX

WA9CWX Ham Member QRZ Page

Add my voice to those expousing the LISTEN don't LOOK CW method.

One other comment, LISTEN to the COMBINED sounds of a letter or number, NOT the individual dits or dashes. DON'T COUNT !

Hear the full letter 'tone' of the combined elements, at a fairly fast speed....Learn to recognize the letters that way ONLY, the added steps only cause trouble, making the whole thing more of a problem than it really is....:D
  19. KB3LAZ

Yea I tried to learn by counting, all that did was confuse me. You give good advise learn it by tone at a somewhat fast pace like 25wpm, but a slower spacing. If that makes sense to you, lol. I used the Koch method, or thats at least what I thinks it called.
  20. W4INF

It seams most if not all are missing the point, I stated I used it as an aid in SENDING.

It is obvious you cannot efficiently decode CW using a chart, that of course comes from listening.

The chart is a tool that can be used during the early learning phase to aid in sending.

Thats all they (CW charts) are IMHO, nothing more and nothing less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.