ad: SteppIR-1

CW during the VHF-SSB contest

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KJ4VTH, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber

Conditions were not so great. So perhaps it was not unusual that some stations wanted to switch to CW to make contacts. But I thought this was a SSB contest.

==============================
    edit: I should read the rules before posting. :(

Sorry, this contest not restricted to SSB.

2. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member

There is life in amateur radio besides contesting....

3. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber

I'm sure there is but on non-contest weekends the ether is pretty thin.

4. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber

Understatement of the year.

I checked 6 meters constantly while operating in the NAQP 'test. Would bring up to the real time 6 meter opening map's as well. Band never opened for us here in the upper Midwest.

Tom KC├śW

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Premium Subscriber

Really funny to see this thread! As I tuned across 6m on Saturday, all I heard
    was local CW activity! I called CQ a few times but there were so few stations on
    it wasn't worth giving up on NAQP for activity. Never once heard SSB on 6m.

Dave
    W7UUU

6. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber

ARRL January VHF Contest: 1900Z, Jan 19 to 0359Z, Jan 21
    All I operated was CW.....

7. AE1P

AE1P XML Subscriber

Really? That's Funny, You should hear all the Crickets on the bands right now...
    been listening for several hours...nada...other than some local 80m cw..

8. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber

Nope, it's a VHF contest. In fact, this year, for the first time, they have an 'FM Only' category, so people who only have FM gear can get on and compete with other FM only folks. I think that's a really good move on the contest committee's part. Many years ago, when FM first grew in popularity, people used all sorts of tricks to make contacts on FM, including some that were pretty annoying to non-contesters. As a result, FM was pretty much relegated to the back shelf with new rules limiting the use of FM. 'Serious' contesters had to have multiple bands and all modes - the highest scores usually reflected the most bands and multipliers. The new rules create opportunities for those less 'dedicated' to VHF contesting to get on and have a fun time making some contacts.

We should still encourage the use of SSB and weak signal modes, as well as multiple bands, and I hope the new rules don't change that. I hope that giving a more equal footing to FM will encourage many who've had no interest in VHF before a reason to explore it.

9. KK4JSJ

KK4JSJ XML Subscriber

About half an hour ago I was walking thru 6 meters and on 50.138 I heard '73 and Thanks for the contact' at about 56 and then nothing. I guess they were done. I didn't hear any of the local 6m beacons. I walked thru 10,12,15,17,20,30, and even 40 meters here is currently dead...I had to drop down to 3576 and make a quick JT65 contact to make sure my equipment still worked.

10. W7UUU

W7UUU Premium Subscriber

It's always amazing to me that the "bands only open during contests" - especially, 10m.... I've really
    only gotten into contests so that I can have an afternoon of QSOs quite easily during a contest. Granted,
    not exactly rag-chews but I still enjoy it.

Dave
    W7UUU

11. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber

Yes, there are two new categories this time:

Single Operator 3 Band, with lower maximum power restrictions, and

Single Operator FM Only, also with low power restriction

CW guys can run full legal limit; I guess that's why folks want to use that mode.
    I run only 20-50w SSB on VHF. So it was really challenging.

12. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member

That's weird. I was on the air today and made plenty of DX contacts, none of them related to any of the contests.

13. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber

I would love to make DX contacts on 2m SSB. How do you do it? :)

============================================
    edit: sent my logs to LoTW and I've already got some confirmations
    wow! could they get much faster than that?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  14. K5RIX

K5RIX Subscriber

This is rich. CW gets through for SSB 'Test QSO's! What is the point?

15. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member

Yes...there are always DX pileups when there isn't a contest!
    Come to think of it, there are always DX pileups when there IS a contest!!
    LIFE IS GOOD!

16. AB1QP

AB1QP Premium Subscriber

You figured it out yet?

It is NOT A SSB contest. It is a mixed mode event.

17. K8GU

K8GU Ham Member

You can run full legal limit on SSB, too. 20-50 watts is plenty to make QSOs on VHF, although more power helps. What do you use for an antenna and what does your horizon look like? I ran 10 watts to a 6-element WA5VJB "cheap Yagi" when I first moved to this area a couple of years ago and made lots of QSOs.

I'm not far from you and I worked a bunch of stations pretty effortlessly with 100 watts and a 9-element Yagi at 25 feet on 2 meters. Most of the stations were local in FM18/FM19/FM29, but a few of the PackRats up in FN20 and of course K1TEO up in FN31. Most of those were on SSB. The only CW QSOs I made were with guys CQing on CW.

18. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber

I had limited time to play around. Made a 2M SSB contact to Escondido, and a 6M SSB to Lubbuck, TX. Otherwise it sucked. NAQP was great though.

19. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber

6 was very active on the East coast, no problem all day making contacts and last night around 7 it opened up to the south. Worked several stations in FL, GA, AL, LA. I had to QRT before the band closed so not sure how long or where else it opened to. Only operated a total of 2 hours or so and made around 75 contacts in 14 states. Mostly on SSB but 8 or 10 were on CW.

20. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member

When the skip is short on 6 meters look for good conditions on 2. Use a horizontally polarized antenna with gain--google "cheap yagi." Minimize losses with good coax--LMR-400 or better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.