Customs inspectors ruin someones day

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KH2BR, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KH2BR

KH2BR Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see any proof that the damage was caused by customs inspectors. Maybe it was but he seems to be leaping to a conclusion.

3. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Now if he would have stuck with 3-500ZG's there would have been no problems. :)

Tom KC├śW

4. PE1RDW

PE1RDW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have anacdotal evidence that customs do drill into things if they feel like it, even a suitcase can get a hole drilled in the top because running it trough an xray takes to much effort as I was told, offcourse it is anacdotal so I can not verify it.

5. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

The German amateur should make a claim from the Customs who did the damage and contact the German amateur radio society. They will of course deny all knowledge, idiots always do, and will explain it as a security measure against terrorists. I assume the items were entered on the outside of the package as radio amateur radio equipment and described as what they were and their use

6. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They were worried someone might have hidden a JOINT inside the tubes, so they had to make SURE it wasn't there. Guess it wasn't. Of course, the FEDS won't pay a NICKEL for replacement! They will claim they were doing it "FOR NATIONAL SECURITY" and the Ham is SOL! Next time use FEDEX!

7. WW7F

WW7F Guest

I forgot if those tubes used beryllium oxide in the ceramic parts, if it is then hopefully the clown got his in return for his fun.
    Some of those jerks get off on destroying things it sounds like.
    Hopefully he has bad karma at the least.
    Unbelievably idiotic they must have hired from a pool of not the best and brightest individuals.
    It never ceases to amaze me how stupid some of those people are:(! 73,michelle

8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

A little Silly Putty and some Scotch tape and they'll be just dandy!

9. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

If it had been TSA the outcome would have been worse.

10. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

As someone who deals with CBP on a continuous basis (at least US CBP), it behooves you to be as explicit as possible in customs declaration forms. Identifying stuff as simply parts or used parts or valves or some other vague description only invites problems. Remember, if you're shipping stuff to the USA, under a certain threshold (I can't remember if its $250 or $500), there are no duties on goods. Even if the value is above the reporting threshold, the duty elimination provisions on goods are such that most any piece of amateur radio gear or components are duty free (regardless of value).

Being cute with Customs only invites trouble.

11. AG6JU

AG6JU Ham Member QRZ Page

may be next time , should bring in AMP with glass tube like 811A or 572, so they can see inside. I must have to admit those ceramic tube looks scarey, classic glass tube appear less threatening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.